(1) The rocket fires under water: that works because it's a true rocket, carrying both fuel and oxidizer on board and not using air at all. The shape of the nozzle is also important, since water has an amazing ability to absorb heat and thus quench combustion; a caul around the nozzle keeps the water from getting at the ignition point from the sides.
(2) The primary explosion creates a roughly circular set of cracks. Those lead to "big" cracks opening up in the ice, as existing seams and weaknesses get expanded.
(3) Note that the circular cracks become hexagonal (matching the big cracks) as you move outwards. What's happening is that the inner cracks happen first, and then those start the big cracks, which actually spread faster than the round ones, basically moving at the speed of sound in ice. By the time the last round cracks are forming, they're forming in ice that already has hexagonal cracks in it.
(4) Water is an incompressible fluid, which means that the shock waves are going to hit things under water very, very hard. This is likely to be lethal to anything underwater and nearby, and is how dynamite fishing works. The reasons why that's a terrible idea (and is therefore illegal nearly everywhere) are hopefully obvious.
(5) That said, watching things explode underwater is pretty cool.
- ZVRSSystems Administrator, present
- Rochester Institute of TechnologyInformation Technology, 1992 - 1997
Feedspot - A fast, free, modern RSS Reader. Its a simple way to track al...
Feedspot - A fast, free, modern RSS Reader. Its a simple way to track all your favorite websites in one place.
Friends+Me - Share Google+ to Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin
Automatic reposts of publicly published Google+ activity to Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.
Server Guy’s Guide to Virtual Networks « ipSpace.net by @ioshints
I was asked to do a short virtual networking presentation during this year's Microsoft NT Conference in Slovenia. Most of the audience were
Nerdgasm: Arista 100GB Ethernet Just Blew My Data Centre Design Up
Today, Arista announces the availability large scale 100GB Ethernet for 7500 chassis and it looks like a serious change in the way network h
Smartr Contacts: The only contacts app you'll ever need.
By the people who brought you Xobni. Smartr Contacts automatically creates an address book using all your emails. Now for Gmail, Android, an