So I was in the stress test for Overwatch this weekend and I have to say, it's a fun game. That said, it's definitely not a day one buy for me. Hell probably not the first 3 months buy and here's why:
1. It's another FPS. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, I love the genre and have played dozens of them. That's the problem though, I've played dozens of them and Overwatch doesn't really do anything better than any other good FPS. Does it do them well? Yes it's a very competent and engaging game but it doesn't wow me in any way shape or form beyond the aesthetic.
2. Cost. "Another FPS" that costs nothing to play when I feel like it but I can toss money at now and then is something I'll install and play here and there now and again. One that I spent $70 on (Yes, it's $70 AU at the CHEAPEST) needs to more than "more of the same" to get that huge a chunk of money in one go. I haven't bought Blood Bowl 2 for example since it's just "more of the same." I've got Team Fortress 2, Dirty Bomb, Mechwarrior Online, and World of Tanks/Warships all of which cost me nothing.
3. "But you get it all for one up front price." Do you? This is modern day gaming folks and you know damn well they'll be cosmetic options and who knows what kind of expansions in the future. Titanfall cost me more than the box price just to play all the new stuff (Which they then made free silly me for buying) and I'm wary of any game now a days that it will ALWAYS cost me more than the initial price, which is fine if the initial price is $0 or even up to $25 but $70?! Nope.
4. "Longevity" I'm not sure Overwatch has it. It's competent and pretty sure, but will that make me want to play it more? I put in a good 8 hours this weekend and it was fun but do I really need anymore? I pushed carts, I froze people, I captured points, and I died in lots of ways but do I need to do more? Not for $70 I don't.
5. Customization. There isn't any. Yes you can change your team makeup and you can swap on the fly and these are great things but you could do that in TF2 and Dirty Bomb already. You know what you can also do? CHANGE YOUR GUN LOADOUT! So not every Heavy is the same as every other Heavy. Or every Doc is the same as every other Doc. Even with cosmetic skins (and right now that's all they are) there is zero modification in play-style per character.
Do I have characters I love? You betcha, but it's the same old same old every time with them with no way of making them "mine" you know?
6. Goals. There aren't any, at least no long term ones. Not even random hat drops like in TF2. There's no overall leveling or mastery of characters. There's no more "There" there you know?
In the end if it's your only FPS then I think it'd be fun, but with SO MANY good F2P games out there that do the exact same thing at least as well if not better why pay the money? The only thing you're really getting is Blizzard's name and art style on it all. If you're a heavy Blizzard fan you're in already, but for those on the fence I suggest passing on this to see how it all rolls out. DO try and get into Open Betas though to see how it works for you.