- Industrial Strength Marketing (ISM)Founder, CEO, 2003 - present
- Industrial Strength Marketing (ISM)CEO, 2003 - present
- Environmental Data Resources (EDR)National Sales Mananger, 1992 - 2001
- Thomas Publishing (ThomasNet)Senior Associate, 2002 - 2007
- Soto & Associates, LLC.President, 2003 - 2007
From the Nashville Business Journal:
James Soto founded Industrial Strength Marketing in 2004 with a unique goal in mind — To optimize the marketing programs of traditional business-to-business companies operating within the industrial sector.
What are the keys to creating a cutting-edge business model?
• Make your office a place where people love to work.
• Make your way of doing business obsolete before the competition does.
• Make the investments necessary to serve your customers with the information and the services they need when they need it.
What is the most out-of-the-box idea you’ve ever had in business?
Developing a total industrial marketing services outsourcing model for manufacturers, distributors and industrial service companies.
With our help, most of our small- to medium-size businesses are able to execute comprehensive marketing plans for a fraction of the cost doing it themselves. We mitigate the need for our clients to ramp up internal marketing resources and we eliminate the necessity to vendor out marketing services to multiple firms.
Our clients benefit in that they can access the expertise of our industrial marketing experts, award winning graphic desigers and programmers. The overhead an industrial company would need to incur to have the talent of strategic marketing campaign managers and technical staff we have on tap would make marketing effectively a high cost/high risk proposition.
What was the result? Still in progress but 150 percent growth year over year.
What single thing makes your company stand out?
Convergent marketing as manifested in our Total Industrial Marketing Solutions approach. Our team is led by industry insiders who have worked for major industrial media, search marketing optimization, web development and creative organizations. Many industrial buyers sell to specific professionals such as design and manufacturing engineers. We have a team which have walked in their shoes and understand the needs of those buyers.
Tell us a little about what’s in store for your company in 2008-09?
• Next generation industrial business-to-business commerce application
• Online automation of marketing plan development
• Hybrid search engine optimization/search engine marketing
How did you wind up in your current position?
Led key market research firms, data houses, information services companies, and led the largest territory for the world’s largest industrial search engine.
What word describes your leadership style?
Servant. We build our business and refine it from the bottom up.
Goal yet to be achieved?
To expand our organization to service all key industrial markets throughout the United States. To establish ISM’s eCommerce solution as the leading industrial business-to-business solution for manufacturers and distributors with more installations than any other company. Most importantly to find that next business that needs our help.
Professional pet peeve?
Those times when we underestimate our own resourcefulness. Each of us can do great things if we just believe we can do it and take a proactive approach to life and work.
What do you do to relieve stress? Cycling
Pets? None, but the kids are working on me to get a dog.
Person outside of your family you would most like to spend time on an island with? Lance Armstrong but the island needs lots of paved roads and two road bikes
- University of Connecticut (UCONN)English, 1988 - 1992
- City University, LondonArts & Culture, 1990 - 1991