Introducing the new, bargain-priced Chromebook! For everyone!
15 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 12 previous comments
- ARM-based, huh? I like that they're going in that direction, but I honestly hope it doesn't increase the fragmentation of the OS. It seems the ChromeOS team has had trouble keeping up with just the five devices at times...and they're all x86-based.
Now they really need to push the "why a Chromebook" again. The ad from I/O 2011 was a brilliant, succinct description of the concept, but Google seems to have list their way on the messaging. They really need to hammer home the "cloud device" paradigm or people will just keep asking why not a cheap Windows laptop.
Oh yeah, and stop trying to make a browser masquerade as a Windows OS! ;)Oct 18, 2012
- Here is a video comparing it to the 550 http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=LoK8p1OZDV4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLoK8p1OZDV4%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&gl=GBOct 19, 2012
- Very nice! Thanks!
I'm not sure I'm crazy about the hinge design - it's not very pleasing visually - but I'm sure I'll be tempted to change my mind when a 3G model comes out.Oct 19, 2012
- Yes, the 3G model is essential for me too.Oct 19, 2012
- - the fact that it's ARM-based won't lead to any fragmentation (unlike Windows). All Chromebooks (from the CR-48 to this) follow the same release schedule. A new version with new features every ~6 weeks.Oct 21, 2012
- Except that there already are different versions for each of the supported platforms and there have already been hardware-specific bugs, not to mention delays like the time the Cr-48s fell behind by two releases. And, as I'm sure you're aware, the ARM build is a different build than the x86 build and seems to have had more issues on crosbug. Certainly seems like a new build is going to add to the workload of the ChromeOS team...and I know they're working pretty hard as it is. If nothing else, they'll have double the testing load. At least I hope so, I'd hate to think the users are going to do all the testing! :)Oct 22, 2012