- Forrester ResearchVP, Principal Analyst, 2007 - present
- Boston University, College of CommunicationAssociate Professor, 2004 - 2007
- WGBHInterim Research Director, 2005 - 2006
- Forrester ResearchAnalyst, Research Director, 1998 - 2004
James McQuivey, Ph.D.
James is a vice president and principal analyst at Forrester Research and the leading analyst tracking the development of digital disruption. He develops consumer models to help companies understand the power of digital consumers and strategy models to help companies in every industry prepare to serve those newly empowered consumers. His travels to meet with clients have sent him to Oslo, San Diego, Barcelona, Anchorage, and everywhere in between. No matter the locale he can be found imploring clients to think and act like digital disruptors.
James is in high demand as a speaker, keynoting and contributing to major events like CES as well as private client events. He comments regularly in The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal and has contributed bylined columns for sites like Harvard Business Review, The Economist, and Forbes. He also appears frequently on news outlets like CNBC and NPR. He was recently featured in the critically acclaimed documentary Page One about the changes in the newsroom at The New York Times due to digital newsgathering and distribution. He is also a significant contributor to Stay Tuned, a new documentary on the future of TV produced by Julia Boorstin at CNBC.
James came to Forrester from a happy life in academia. He was a graduate fellow at Syracuse University's acclaimed S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications where he earned his Ph.D. He also taught at Boston University.
James lives in Needham, Massachusetts with his wife and the four youngest of their six disruptors.
- Syracuse UniversityS.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication, 1995 - 1998
- University of South CarolinaMBA, 1992 - 1994
- Brigham Young UniversityInternational relations, 1987 - 1991