- The story is very simple, simplistic even - though by no means stupid (certainly more complex and smarter than "V for Vendetta"). A linear plot almost by definition. It does get much better in the second half of the movie (and of the train), when the comic book-style visuals and more surreal characters get a chance to shine.
- You can tell the original story must have been a lot more epic in scale and detail - even despite obviously massive cuts, half the dialogue is lengthy exposition. Some crucial characters and events remain unexplained forever, unless I missed something.
- Tilda Swinton's "Thatcher" is glorious.
- There's a lot of symbolism that's really hard to figure out at times. I think I'll spend the rest of the day trying to get the fish blood scene (which apparently was so important Bong refused to cut it for the US release).
If you look closely, the Inebriati are watching London burn at the same time as the news reporting alien invasion is filmed on the other side of the city.
Of course, one of the chief Inebriati would later get a prominent position running the Quiz Broadcast...
As Not The Nine O'Clock News put it, "nice video, shame about the song".
- Flying Squidauthor and publisher, 2012 - present
- "The Shadow of Black Wings" (TYOTD #1) (current)
- "The Warrior's Soul" (TYOTD #2) (current)
- "The Islands in the Mist" (TYOTD #3) (current)
- "The Rising Tide" (TYOTD #4 (current)
- "The Year of the Dragon, Books 1-4" (current)
- "Dragonbone Chest" (current)
- "Transmission: Three Short Stories" (current)
- James Calbraith Blog (current)
- Kobo Book Hub (current)
- Fantasy Faction (current)
- Nihon Rekishi (current)
- A Different Green (current)
- University of Warsaw
The incredible hulks: Jonathan Meades' A-Z of brutalism
It was mocked and misunderstood. But it produced some of the most sublime, awe-inspiring buildings on the planet. Jonathan Meades, maker of
‘Keep fighting’, Klitschko fiancée Hayden Panettiere tells Ukraine rally
The American actress Hayden Panettiere has appeared alongside her Ukrainian fiancée, the boxer Vladimir Klitschko, to deliver a message of s
Mark Knopfler & Friends - Why aye man [London -02]
"Almost Dire Straits" Mark Knopfler live from Shepherd's Bush Empire, London 2002.07.23. This is the first of four charity gigs, this one fo
So you need that smart cuckoo clock for Christmas, do you?
George Monbiot: A global bullshit industry recruits the values with which we'd like the festival to be invested – to sell things no one want
American Music Review, Vol. XL, No. 3, Fall 2011 - H. Wiley Hitchcock In...
During the 1960s, advances in multi-track recording, sound manipulation, and new musical hybrids produced extraordinary changes in musical s
Siege of Szigetvár - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Suleiman's response came in 1532 when he led a massive army of over 120000 troops to besiege Vienna again. Ferdinand withdrew his army, leav