- Boomvang Creative GroupWriter and Editor, 1999 - presentEditorial services firm with a focus on travel & leisure, sports, finance, small business, professional speakers, B2B, ghostwriting, blogging. All forms of print and digital media, from newsletters and direct mail to websites, microsites and video and radio scriptwriting.
- McMurry PublishingAssociate Publisher, 1995 - 19992 years as editor of several syndicated and custom published magazines, followed by 2 years in business development and project management.
- Best Western InternationalMedia Relations Manager, 1994 - 1995Press release writing and internal communications for world's largest hotel chain.
- Golf IllustratedManaging Editor, 1992 - 1994Managed staff of in-house writers and freelancers. Served as primary contact with art department for magazine production. Wrote articles, managed all content from receipt through proofreading and production.
- Golf DigestAssistant Editor, 1989 - 1991After completing New York Times Magazine Group internship, was hired full time as staff editor for Golf Shop Operations (GSO). Wrote and edited copy, managed freelance writers.
- Ellipsis CommunicationsFormer name of Boomvang Creative Group.
- Yale University
- University of Phoenix
4 rules of face to face meetings for a freelancer - Dr. Freelance®
The freelancer attending face to face meetings with new clients has slightly different rules from other types of businesses
Academic malpractice in freelance pricing - Dr. Freelance®
Offering freelance pricing advice without addressing real-world business factors qualifies as academic malpractice.
The best way to run a freelance business - Dr. Freelance®
I was honored to be the keynote speaker at Communication Central in Rochester, N.Y., in late September, and I was struck, as I networked wit
The wrong way to get freelance jobs - Dr. Freelance®
There are lots of ways to get freelance jobs, but a pitch to a freelancer without a relationship or business knowledge is surely the wrong w
WordPerfect and other blasts from the freelance past - Dr. Freelance®
I met up with my friend, Chuck, at a local watering hole the other night, and he sarcastically called me Mr. WordPerfect. (He’s a finance gu
Why I'm (finally) using a standing desk - Dr. Freelance®
You could argue that I’m a few years late to the trend of using a standing desk for my freelance home office. The truth is that I’ve been ve
Referral sales tip: There's no such thing as a slam dunk
A referral is exciting but not necessarily a slam dunk, so consider this three-part sales tip the next time you get a call for your freelanc
TCG Blog: Career and management insights for creative professionals.
The Creative Group (TCG) is a leader in matching creative talent with the best companies. TCG provides creative staffing services and specia
The day you sign a client is the day you start losing them
Don Draper of Mad Men was right when he said that the day you sign a client is the day you start losing them — and that everything’s going t
Free ebook: Help! My Freelancers Are Driving Me Crazy
The ebook Help! My Freelancers Are Driving Me Crazy provides relationship strategies for the management and motivation of freelance workers
How a freelancer can answer 4 pesky client questions
A freelancer needs to be prepared in a first client meeting to talk about their experience, process and fees, while focusing on making the s