If Apple wants to give away content in order to attract subscribers, fine, but that shouldn't be done on the backs of those who created the content. Pay for the content, Apple, and give it away if you wish, but PAY FOR WHAT YOU USE.
Also with us on Sunday: Julian Romane, Leslie B. Dunner
We'll be playing
- Tony Osborne "Dream Time"
- David Anderson "Quartet 1987"
- Joan Jeanrenaud "Livre" arranged for six basses
- Igor Iachimciuc "Rural Sketches" (six basses and marimba)
- William Byrd (arr. Cameron) "Ave Verum Corpus"
- San Francisco Conservatory of MusicMMus, Double Bass Performance, 1994 - 1996
- Carleton CollegeBachelor of Arts, Music, 1982 - 1986
- Menlo-Atherton High School1978 - 1982
As a result of my career progression from production and graphic design, then into the trenches of back-end code and then back to user experience, I am a strong facilitator of communication between the creators and the users of software. My expertise is primarily in web applications, but could easily be generalized to any area where there are non-technical users who need to understand the technical people, and vice versa.
I'm also a musician, and my sense of crafting performances for an audience mirrors my sense of crafting user experiences. And I welcome invitations to hijack LinkedIn for musical networking!
Specialties: User interviews, field study, heuristic analysis, usability analysis, agile methodology, agile coaching, scrum
- Kellogg School of ManagementSenior User Experience Lead, 2014 - present
- Chicago Bass EnsembleFounder, 2006 - presentThe Chicago Bass Ensemble is a Small Group of Large Instruments. Call it what you want: doublebass, upright bass, string bass, contrabass, scrtchbox, bass violin, king of the instruments, that's what we play. We explore the interesting repertoire--old and new--for the bass ensemble. At http://www.chicagobassensemble.com I blog about the struggles, both philosophical and practical, of being the founder and leader of a small performing ensemble.
- Redpoint TechnologiesAgile Coach, 2012 - 2013I observe and listen carefully to the needs, desires and frustrations of individual project team members, their supervisors and the enterprise as a whole to tailor an agile approach, based on the core principles of the agile movement, and respectful of the unique needs of each organization. The dedicated and hands-on approach we use gives the transformation considerably more staying power than a two-week "training" or a strict set of rules to follow. I occasionally blog to capture ideas about this process at agilecoachjacque.wordpress.com .
- Cars.comSenior Interaction Designer, 2007 - 2012Cars.com is a destination for consumers, providing them with the tools, resources and most pertinent information available to make all automotive decisions. In May 2011, Cars.com moved to an agile development process, with core teams (manager, designer, engineer + project manager) dedicated to re-defined products. With the restructuring, I made the choice to take a hands-on role of Interaction Designer, supporting the inventory search functions of the site. As part of that change, my title changed to Senior Interaction Designer. During this time I was also extensively involved in creating scripts for user research (in-house, actual users) and moderating user experience test sessions. My scope as User Experience Manager / Producer extended to the search products on the site, working with Product Managers, Designers, Technical Producers and Research staff to upgrade and improve the Cars.com web site. This meant balancing the demands of dealers and independent sellers with the priority of keeping the consumer's needs foremost. At Cars.com I began as a User Experience Manager, and in 2008 took the role of Senior User Experience Manager. At that time I supervised three user experience managers, each dedicated to specific products, in a loose workgroup.
- Heidrick & Struggles International, Inc.Information Architect, 2006 - 2007At Heidrick & Struggles, I worked on a team building a web-based interface for the company's extensive database of people and employment histories. In order to design an application that would excel in the service of user's needs, I conducted user interviews to better understand the tasks and flow required. I also shadowed users during their work day as a form of contextual inquiry. As development began on the product, my supervisor and I conducted usability studies with actual users--in-person and remotely--on both dynamic wireframes and prototype code; we developed the test protocol together, and alternated moderation duties. Unfortunately, the project was not completed.
- UOP LLCGraphic Designer - Web Developer, 2000 - 2006I started at UOP as production artist in the Creative Services group; moved to IT and eventually was a Senior Web Developer, focused on intranet application development.
- Pathfinder SoftwareUser Experience Lead, 2013 - 2014Lead client inception activities, including stakeholder interviews, prototyping and user story generation. Generate final user stories, acceptance criteria, sketches and wireframes. Internal coaching on agile and team-building principles.
Rep. Jared Polis Calls For 24 Hour Surveillance On Senator Marco Rubio |...
Rep. Jared Polis has a bit of a history of making hilarious, but incredibly on point, sarcastic and satirical suggestions in response to gov
Helsinki's ambitious plan to make car ownership pointless in 10 years
Finland's capital hopes a 'mobility on demand' system that integrates all forms of shared and public transport in a single payment network c
Bandcamp’s Ethan Diamond: ‘Fans want to support the artists they love’
When musician Zoe Keating published details of her 2013 earnings in February, most of the media coverage predictably focused on how litt
James Rhodes: 'Find what you love and let it kill you'
My life as a concert pianist can be frustrating, lonely, demoralising and exhausting. But is it worth it? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt,
A2 Hosting : Linux Web Hosting : Best Linux Website Hosting Services
Linux Web Hosting w/ 24/7 Support & 99.9% Uptime. Linux Website Hosting Services w/ cPanel, MySQL & PHP. Affordable Award Winning Li
Creating a Program (for March 10, 2013) « Chicago Bass Ensemble
One of the challenges of organizing a performance is to decide what to play and what order to play it in. At the 2013 Chicago Bass Festival,
Second Presbyterian Church Chicago – March 10, 2013 « Chicago Bass Ensemble
We'll be playing at the Second Presbyterian Church, March 10, 2013. 1936 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60616 312.225.4951. This is the first