Also check out a nifty IJulia notebook that was put together to highlight some of the happenings in the 0.2 community: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/julia-dev/WvdgjER4zBM/discussion
A big congrats/thanks to all who have contributed to 0.2 and here's to 0.3!
A quote from a talk I was listening to this morning really stuck out to me and is a great example of the simple, powerful teachings that are shared (and that I wanted to share!):
"I have learned a truth that has been repeated so frequently in my life that I have come to know it as an absolute law. It defines the way obedience and service relate to the power of God. When we obey the commandments of the Lord and serve His children unselfishly, the natural consequence is power from God—power to do more than we can do by ourselves. Our insights, our talents, our abilities are expanded because we receive strength and power from the Lord."
-Elder Richard G. Scott
Full talk here: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/for-peace-at-home
- Carnegie Mellon UniversityMISM BIDA, 2013 - present* Currently enrolled in Computational Methods for the Smart Grid (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~zkolter/course/15-884/index.html), an applied machine learning course covering optimization techniques in power systems using publicly available supply/demand data for the electric grid in Pennsylvania (PhD level course) * The Business Intelligence and Data Analytics concentration involves additional data-intensive courses in advanced statistics, data mining, warehousing, hadoop, social media analytics, and a captstone project working with a real company on an analytics solution * Additional elective courses will cover advanced machine learning techniques, convex optimization, and predictive modelling
- Brigham Young UniversityBusiness Strategy and Economics, 2011
- Rigby High School
- BYU grad (Land of the Jimmer and sobriety)
- Politics: I love data, analytics, and am an economist at heart, so I try to stick mainly to factcheckers as my news sources as I've lost faith in mainstream journalism. On social issues, I tend to lean right.
- Tech Company Preferences: Google gets my $, though Apple still gets respect
- I'm fanatical about ultimate frisbee; I don't quite understand my obsession, but that I'm mesmerized by a flying disc
- My favorite desserts would have to be banana cream pie (don't forget the cream!) and anything funfetti....seriously
- I'm a lover of stories; books, movies, video games...no matter the medium
- Cats > dogs
- Grew up on old-school musicals, especially the cheesy ones
- I hate the alphabet and struggle to remember the order of letters
- Snack of choice: fat-free saltines, I always have a sleeve with me...
- Sports: College > Pros
- If I were ridiculously rich and was given one way to completely waste some of my money it would be in wearing a brand new pair of socks everyday.....love new socks.
- The thing I hate more than anything in this world is styrofoam. My wife will throw it on me occasionally just to watch me squirm.
- Gratefully married to an incredible woman
- and I'm a mormon (hey, not everyone can use that line!)
- Sears Holdings CorporationConsumer Electronics Analytics Manager, 2011 - 2013
Netflix Prize: Forum / Grand Prize awarded to team BellKor’s Pragmatic C...
It is our great honor to announce the $1M Grand Prize winner of the Netflix Prize contest as team BellKor's Pragmatic Chaos for their verifi
Papers The Data Linkage Project Publication 2010 HARRA: Fast ...
Publication. 2010. HARRA: Fast Iterative Hashed Record Linkage for Large-Scale Data Collections, Hung-sik Kim, Dongwon Lee, In 13th Int'l Co