Start a hangout
J. Michael Rivera
82 followers|48,819 views
J. Michael Rivera
Works at California Against Slavery
Attends Kent State University
Lives in Stockton, California
82 followers|48,819 views
Social media, public relations, writing, editing
- California Against SlaveryCommunications Manager, 2014 - present
- California Grocers AssociationSocial media manager, 2011 - presentDeveloped social media marketing and communication plan and designed and launched Facebook page. Provide multiple daily content updates to client Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest accounts regarding key industry issues and current events. Locate or create artwork for social media accounts and edit using Adobe Photoshop. Research and write industry-relevant blog content. Educate senior communications staff on new social media and marketing opportunities. Provide photography services as needed.
- The Salinas CalifornianFreelance writer, 2005 - 2012Contributing writer for Good Monday Morning, a weekly news feature spotlighting local people making a positive difference in the city of Salinas (2010 to 2012). Researched and wrote news and entertainment features for publication in The Salinas Californian, as well as for its weekly lifestyle publication, Off 68 (2008 to 2012). Wrote a weekly column for publication in 411, the weekly entertainment publication of the newspaper (2005-2006).
- San Joaquin LifestylesContributing writer, 2008 - 2012Wrote travel and accessory articles for magazine tailored to San Joaquin County residents. Past articles included a review of the Tesla electric sports car, hybrid luxury sport-utility vehicles and a Stockton native-turned-developer with a resort property in Bass Lake, Calif..
- AspiranetRecruiter/Marketer, 2006 - 2009I managed the certification process for foster parent candidates and facilitated community informational events and orientation classes. I maintained full oversight of recruiting and marketing for the Sacramento and Stockton district. I also conceptualized and wrote content for marketing campaign collateral and media projects, planned and fulfilled direct mail and email campaigns. I served as the media point of contact, including pitching stories to local media. My accomplishments include: Increasing the foster parent candidate list by more than 100%. Streamlining the paperwork process for foster parents, resulting in a faster certification process and cutting certification costs for the agency from $11,000 to $7,000. Decreasing the inquiry-to-certification period for new foster parents from 268 to 126 days. Serving as a Media Committee Chairman for the Foster Care Month Capitol Kick-Off event, May 2008.
- Monterey County HeraldCopy editor, 2003 - 2004Designed local section and editorial pages for a 38,000-circulation paper. Developed a keen eye for detail, fact checking and strong design. Consistently wrote strong, imaginative headlines that accurately summarized the news.
- The Salinas CalifornianReporter/Columnist, 2000 - 2003I reported on Salinas city government issues, covering the Salinas City Council, Monterey County, and various school districts. I also wrote a weekly entertainment column highlighting upcoming local events,on the Central Coast. My highlights during my time there included: Earning the 2002 Associated Press News Executives Council Regional Award, Public Service Reporting, for a series on gang prevention strategies. Interviewing numerous elected officials and other public figures, including former California State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell, and news personality Bob Woodward. Wrote series of articles on gang prevention profiling regional gang problems and strategies for resolution. Researched and visited prisons, schools, and after-school programs for at-risk youth, interviewed strategic community members. Consistently met rigorous deadlines while covering, researching and writing multiple stories 5 days a week for 3 years. Wrote approximately 1,000 new stories throughout tenure.
Salinas, California - Worms, Germany - Darmstadt, Germany - Fort Gordon, Georgia - Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
Communications professional, minister, gardener, neighborhood watch captain and aspiring do-gooder
- I am a communications professional with more than 20 years of newspaper ink in my veins.
- When I'm not talking public relations or social media, I'm also helping people make sense of their spiritual landscapes in my role as a licensed minister with my local church.
- I drink a lot of coffee. No, really. A. Lot. Of. Coffee. This benefits the organizations I work for immensely.
- Gardening and prayer keep me sane. Well, functionally sane.
- Kent State UniversityMaster of Arts, Journalism/Mass Comm. (PR emphasis), 2012 - presentPR Theory and Ethical Practice PR Management Financial Issues in Public Relations Measurement and ROI Law for Advertising and Public Relations Strategic Writing and Messaging Values and Ethics Management Online Tactics in Public Relations Public Relations History and the Modern World Internal Communications Social Media and Public Relations Master's Culminating Experience (Capstone)
- University of California, Santa CruzLiterature, 2002 - 2004
- University of California, Davis ExtensionSpecialized certificate, Public Relations, 2009 - 2010Essentials of Public Relations, Strategic Planning in Public Relations, Media Relations, Social Media and Marketing and Public Opinion Research
- University of California, Davis ExtensionSpecialized certificate, Marketing, 2009 - 2010Essentials of Marketing, Marketing and Public Opinion Research, Integrated Marketing Communications, Strategic Marketing Planning
Thanks for the invite,! Looking forward to learning and sharing.
Add a comment...