Plex vs Serviio
Just a quick comparison between Serviio and +Plex
DLNA servers for Windows that I've installed to easily cast all my media to my TV using AllCast. Both are popular, but I'd like to offer several observations that made me stick with Plex
and uninstall Serviio.
- Both are free and have paid premium features, none of which I care about.
- Serviio's interface sucks compared to Plex's. It feels very 90s, while Plex feels modern.
- Serviio couldn't see any files on my Synology NAS mounted as its own drive letter. Plex had no issues. This was a deal-breaker.
- With the same catalog of media fed to them, I just checked active resident RAM usage ("private bytes" column in Process Explorer), and Serviio was almost 400MB, while Plex is sitting at 90MB. This was the nail in the coffin.
tl;dr: If you're looking for a good DLNA server, go with +Plex
- Serviio http://serviio.org/download
- Plex https://plex.tv/downloads