I have a 2x2 Varregion. Is it possible to upload 4 RAW files that are each 256x256 to get 4 regions with different terrain textures? Without console access I must use the viewer to upload them.
one plus one
Shared publicly•View activity
- I have no idea -I've never gotten that to work, but in theory you should be able to.Nov 21, 2015
- I had that issue when we did the Hypergrid Story. We originally planned to do it as a 3x3 var, but ran into the issue of not being able to have separate terrains for each. One scene being a desert, another being a swamp. That was a problem. Even when I loaded the regions as oars the terrain seemed to take the last texture loaded. We ended up using individual regions rather than a var, the other solution is to use a mesh terrain that you texture.Nov 21, 2015
- One of the limitations of a varregion is that it has to use the same set of terrain textures everywhere. As an alternative I tend to do parts with mesh to work around this, although that is an added complication with its own pros/cons.Nov 21, 2015
- Thanks a lot for your information. Thats pity. Will we ever see such var in the future? I mean would it be technically possible. I believe that in Kitely one can upload 256x256 OARs as part of their var. But could be that they have a different var, not sure about this.Nov 21, 2015
- You can upload the 256x256 oars to a var, but what I saw in doing it for the users of the story regions when I loaded the swamp oar the desert oar got that ground texture too. My understanding is that a var is a single region, just a big one and you can't have different textures across a region.Nov 21, 2015
- Kitely uses http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Setting_Up_Mega-Regions for which they have added their own proprietary code.
Using terrain tools in the region info box you can create a lot of variety by adjusting the heights and depths.
It sure would be nice to have better explicit varregion texture varieties and I hope they add that in some fine day-)Nov 22, 2015
- ahh that explains it. I recall reading in their Forum members uploading OARs to their varregions without problems. They are also mega regions that behave like varregions. Cool.
And yes, I wish our Varregions were more flexible. Thank youNov 22, 2015