I decided to finally weigh in on the bottom tabs conversation. I've actually talked about this before (years ago) and my stance hasn't changed.
51 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 24 previous comments
- Google + has 3 features, stream,collections and communities. The thing is there can be categories like featured and following and tabs are best solution for categories.
See youtube gaming app for example,they are not using tabs for categories , to see trending videos you need to scroll all the way down in the home tab (you must see recommended and spotlight to reach trending). Is that good design ?Mar 21, 2016
- I don't use Collections and Communities tab a lot but I accidentally tap them when I try to tap back/home/recents. Happens to me very frequently.Mar 21, 2016
- When I read top to bottom part of the article, I thought about accessibility. The default behavior of screen readers is to go from top to bottom. This will read navigation items at the end. :(Mar 21, 2016
- iOS has used bottom tabs for years with success. The most compelling reason for adding it to Material standards is design cross-compatibility. It's difficult and cumbersome to design for two massively different navigation systems. So regardless of your concerns, we should expect to see a massive uptick to this approach for all of the major cross-platform apps including any app Google is trying to popularize on iOS.Mar 27, 2016
- Personally, I prioritize optimizing for users over optimizing for designers.Mar 27, 2016
- Do you know where I can find a template, or best practice guideline on how to apply to bottom toolbar?Mar 29, 2016
TapDeck in media