I'm a 6 on the Dawkins scale.
- Freelancer and Mommy, 2003 - presentI homeschool my kids, raise Guide Dog Puppies (boulderpuppies.org), volunteer at the Humane Society (boulderhumane.org), and create and maintain websites for non-profits. I also take the occasional class and learn new technologies.
- SomatogenMedia Prep, 1992 - 1993
- Spectra LogicProduct Support Engineer, 1997 - 1999"Backline" customer support for Alexandria, a unix backup program.
- FujitsuGraphics, 1993 - 1994Graphic design and administrative assistance
- Sun MicrosystemsTech Support III, 1999 - 2003Analyzed core files, solved performance problems, interfaced with customers, and helped everyone manage their work queues.
- Sun MicrosystemsTech Support III, 2006 - 2007Analyzed core files, solved performance problems, interfaced with customers, and helped everyone manage their work queues.
- The Root GroupJr. Sys Admin, 1994 - 1996Junior SA and all-around assistant for everyone.
- InVu Information SystemsResearch Analyst, 1996 - 1997
1335 Foxtail Drive Broomfield, CO 80020
I majored in Computer Science and Physical Science in college and then spent a couple of years working in chemistry and biotech labs. Since you can't really have any fun in the science field without a graduate degree, I decided to use my computer skills instead. I worked as an engineer for about ten years analyzing core files, writing scripts, and other random stuff. (Analyzing core files is kind of like doing an autopsy on a dead computer. The goal is to figure out why it died.)
I quit working in the office after my kids were born and started my business. I still occasionally work for my very first two clients.
Since I am very lucky and my family lives off of my husband's income, I am extremely picky about taking on new clients and work. In fact, the great majority of my clients are non-profits and I don't charge them.My criteria for new work/clients is as follows
- Is it a cause I want to support? (Animal shelters are a given.)
- Does the work look interesting?
- Have I ever done that type of work before? (I prefer new and untried work to stuff I've done before.)
- Joomla and web sites, integrating widgets and code into web sites
- Database stuff
- Some programming
- Visualizing data
- Editing and proofreading (just not my own ;)
- Teaching science and history classes for kids
- Antelope Valley High School
- Antelope Valley College
- Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
- Front Range
To my daughter's high school programming teacher | USENIX
trigger alert (violence and rape references). Dear sir,. I'm not writing to complain about your choice of programming languages (Visual Basi
3 Reasons why black people don't homeschool | Penelope Trunk Homeschooling
This is a guest post from Judy Ledbetter Sarden, a homeschooling mother of two, business advisor, writer and attorney. This is a photo of he
How and why to use whom in a sentence - The Oatmeal
This is a grammar comic about the proper usage of who versus whom. Comics: Random Most Popular All Cats Grammar Food Animals Tech · How and
Dina Needs to Take Her Creativity Meds - The Big Shift
Dina, age 11, is not doing well in school. She has been getting C’s and D’s in her divergent thinking classes and, despite all of her hard w
No Bones About It: Guide Dogs for the Blind's Blog: Understanding Mismarks
By: GDB Breeding Manager Jenna Bullis Recently we posted a litter announcement for the Auberge x Amici litter and shared with you all that “
The Type of Stay-At-Home Parent You Are Makes All The Difference - The S...
A lot of families make the conscious decision to have one parent stay at home with the children while they're young while the other one head
Choice in Schools or Choice in Education? | LearnLiberty
School choice is good, but education choice is better. Advancements in education delivery promise students better options than the tradition
Lion, Tiger and Bear Make for Odd, Yet Happy Family at Ga. Sanctuary
At Noah’s Ark, a wild-animal rescue center in Georgia, the “BLT” are an unlikely trio that even “Oz’s” Dorothy would find hard to fear. “It’
Sometimes We Feel Like the Girl on the Cover of Replica, Too by Jenna Bl...
Sometimes we feel like the girl on the cover of Jenna Black's new book Replica, too. Read an excerpt from the young adult novel.
Watch the prequel to next week's Doctor Who season finale
Next week we'll learn the secrets contained in the Doctor Who season finale"The Name of the Doctor," but for now, BBC gives us the prologue:
What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains [Epipheo.TV]
Most of us are on the Internet on a daily basis and whether we like it or not, the Internet is affecting us. It changes how we think, how we