“On March 22nd, the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Departmentat UF unanimously proposed to President Machen the creation of a College of Computing. A few weeks later, Dean Abernathy proposed her alternative modelfor the future of the computing discipline at UF - namely, dismemberment."
This seems to be a relatively common situation. Apparently, proposals to merge CS into ECE and proposals to create expand CS into an independent college always appear simultaneously out of the academic æther, like electrons and positrons, or whales and petunias.
• A posted timeline of events leading up to the March 2012 proposal to create a College of Computing — HC SVNT DRACONES (ET CETE PETVNIASQUE) — https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_BLIH0W6HbJUTlWYlhPNzB3TWc/edit?pli=1
• Wednesday's announcement by the UF president that the CISE and ECE departments "have come forward together with a framework of a new proposal that would help meet the college’s budget target", presumably to form a joint department or school. (A similar proposal was previously rejected, almost unanimously, by the CISE faculty.) The statement also says that Dean Abernathy "has agreed to set aside the previously announced proposal". — http://news.ufl.edu/2012/04/25/machen-budget-statement/
- DOCOMO InnocationsResearch Engineer, 2012 - present
- Los Alamos National SecuritySummer Intern, 2011 - 2011
- Intel CorporationSummer Intern, 2008 - 2008
- My homepage (current)
- 2012 - now: Research Engineer in DOCOMO Innovations, Inc., in Palo Alto, California.
- 2007 - 2012: Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, under supervision of Prof. Nitin Vaidya.
- 2005 - 2007: M.A.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Toronto, under supervision of Prof. Ben Liang.
- 2000 - 2004: B.Eng. in Electronic Engineering and Information Science from the Special Class for the Gifted Young at University of Science and Technology of China.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignElectrical and Computer Engineering, 2007 - 2012
- University of TorontoElectrical and Computer Engineering, 2005 - 2007
- University of Science and Technology of ChinaElectronic Engineering and Information Science, 2000 - 2004
Create your own passport photo for free - IDPhoto4You
Online passport photo service for free. Upload your photo. System detects your face in the uploaded photo. Cut your photo. Download your pri
FAST CLOUD: erasure codes for speeding up cloud storage - Guanfeng Liang...
Guanfeng Liang's academic homepage. It contains a short bio of me, a list of my current interests of research, a list of my academic publica
Does Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen deserve an apology?
Poll: Does US coach John Leonard, who questioned Ye Shiwen's record-breaking swim, owe Ye an apology?
University cutting computer science dept.? An insider's view
The University of Florida is about to gut its computer science department. How can it be that an apparently strong university can consider t
A preview of Gmail's new look - Official Gmail Blog
Archives. Archives, June (9), May (6), April (10), March (5), February (6), January (5), December (10), November (4), October (5), September