Wow. Fumicino Airport might just be the worst airport in the world. Worse than Dulles. Maybe. I did not
like flying out of there:
- It takes a very long time to get there (plan on an hour from Rome).
- Passengers on flights bound for the USA and Israel are processed in T5 about 1km from the other terminals and (mostly) only reachable via a shuttle (add ten minutes).
- The Alitalia lounge is small and, except for the capuccino/espresso, bad.
- You're almost guaranteed that the person who used the stall before you was hotboxing with their forbidden cigarette.
- There is a complete lack of decent food options (just grab and go sandwiches), and a plethora of high-end retail shops.
Eleven hours on the plane from FCO to Dulles. Then I had to go through customs at Dulles. They have Global Entry stations, which is great, but they also had six flights arriving around the same time which they thought would be good to put on the same baggage claim belt. And then, when you get through customers, you have to go through security again, and there's no pre-check or priority line
! What was the point of Global Entry, then?! Also, my flight arrived at C12, I had to walk to C1 for customs, and then all the way across to D30, which is just about a mile. Shuttles at the midpoints might make some sense for people with long customs waits and tight connections.+United
- So they know.