This year's loser is Woolworths for its "Fresh in our memories" social media campaign. I won't bore you with the details but the company launched a picture generator from which you could place images of (presumably) dead Service personnel, overlaid with (of course) the Woolies logo and message. Tacky to the extreme.
Fortunately, consumer backlash forced the company to withdraw it.
Then there's Sydney's Daily Telegraph, which is pushing a coin collection.
Who could forget last year's advertising by QANTAS, which launched an Anzac discount fare to "celebrate" ANZAC Day? We don't celebrate ANZAC Day; we commemorate or remember the ANZACs. People say this in casual conversation and it angers me, probably because I'm a returned serviceman.
There are many more companies which trade on the sacrifices made by our war dead. Biscuits come to mind. There is State and federal legislation in place to prevent this but I don't see many prosecutions.
Slightly off tangent, in Western Australia, the government gives people a Monday holiday this year because ANZAC Day falls on Saturday. I don't think our Diggers fought so we could have a public holiday. They didn't get any.
PS: despite what the federal government thinks, it's capital letters for ANZAC, which is an acronym. Also gives a bit more respect.
- Level 2 personal trainer registered with Fitness Australia.
- Paddling technician.
- Ocean and open-water swimming coach.
- Former world & Australian Masters iron man and surf swimming champion.
- Former Australian marathon swim champion.
- Three times completed the 244km South African surf ski marathon (1979, 81, 83) Top 10 twice.
- Served in Army (for years Regular and 13 Reserve) with service in East Timor 2001.
- Legacy-trained Veterans welfare officer.
- PhD (CQU), MComms (PR) ECU
- Central Queensland UniversityPhD, 2004 - 2007
- Edith Cowan UniversityMComms (PR), 2004 - 2007
- Australian Fitness AcademyCert IV: Gym, PT, older adults, children, 2010 - 2011
- Health, fitness, wellbeingMotivator, 2011 - present
- GovernmentCommunicator, 2006 - 2014
- Southport Surf Life Saving ClubProfessional coach, 2005 - 2005
- Surf Life Saving AustraliaNational communications manager, 1984 - 1985
- Sydney OlympicsInformation manager, 1999 - 2000
- ArmyPR Officer, 1986 - 2004
About Perth's Largest Twitter Community - Tweet Perth
Tweet Perth was created November 2010. With Tweet Perth you are able to find out the latest Perth based Twitter news and events. Got somethi
MIlitary Brotherhood Military Motorcycling Club (Perth)
You've arrived at the Perth Sub Branch of the Military Brotherhood Military Motorcycling Club (MMC). Formed primarily to support Returned Se
Rugby | Rugby Union News, Live Scores, Stats | Rugby Heaven