via Banchi di Sotto, 55, 53100 Siena, Italy
We are a student environmental network (partner of World Student Environmental Network) with a focus on ecology, biodiversity and sustainability, based at University of Siena, Italy and born in November 2012. Our group is comprised of students with different backgrounds and works to address the most pressing environmental and social issues of our time in an interdisciplinary way, by combining scientific and academic aspects with the importance of individual habits. Specifically, we aim at:
- reducing the ecological footprint of college buildings
- creating a healthy and lively cultural climate, as well as an informed student community
- participating to World Student Environmental Network’s initiatives and other sustainable development-related events
- promoting and organizing seminars, workshops and orientation courses (even for prospective students)
- co-operating with our University for the conception and management of common projects (whether at local, national or international level) in order for students to get involved in concrete and meaningful activities (both for their future and the future of the planet)
As of 2014, we are working alongside University of Siena to spark the establishment of MED Solutions, the UN SDSN Center for the Mediterranean Region.
The Session focused on young people's engagement in the transition from the MDGs to the SDGs and on the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Youth Network proposal.
#SDGYouth #youth2015 #youthwill #action2015
"4. UNIVERSITIES can play a pivotal role in tackling MED Agri-Food challenges not only through research and promotion of solutions, but also through education. They should provide students with sustainable development knowledge and skills useful for promoting principles and tools of integrated sustainability, awareness on the meaning and role of SDGs and SD research and execution. These skills are relevant also in the labour market. This last aspect is of particular importance for the Mediterranean area and, above all, for Mediterranean Agri-Food businesses (especially the smallest ones), which often suffer from a serious lack in expertise and knowledge on sustainable development principles and practices.
5. STUDENTS should be at the core of future sustainable development initiatives. Students at any stage of their career should be made aware of the role of Sustainable Development principles and tools, including SDGs, to tackle Mediterranean environmental and societal challenges.
6. BUSINESS world should adopt a different approach to sustainability. Recent data and statistics highlighted once again the leading role of the Agri-Food sector in Mediterranean economies, as well as on youth employment. To deal with new needs and contribute to implement SDGs, however, businesses should take advantage of the opportunities given by research on sustainable agriculture and business models."
Keynote speakers of the Session will include Prof. Achim Dobermann (Member of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network Leadership Council), Dario Piselli, Dario Bettaccini (University of Siena), Fulya Kundaklar and Sila Temizel (Bogazici University).
You will be able to follow the live stream on http://www.youtube.com/user/unisiena and ask them questions throughout via twitter, using the hashtags #SDGYouth, #youth2015 and #Youthwill!
Vieni dall'area del Mediterraneo e cerchi un'esperienza di internship con un'organizzazione giovanile globale nel campo dello sviluppo sostenibile? Falla con il UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN Youth)! http://goo.gl/wdwR8v
Internships with SDSN Youth:
* A range of internships to youth aged between 16 and 30 will be offered.
* Internships will be managed by Regional/National Youth Representatives and their respective team, under the auspices of their SDSN center (a determined by the geographical location of the applicant).
* Duration of the internship will vary based on the needs, availability of resources, performance of candidate, and type of responsibilities assigned.
* Interns will be unpaid, unless otherwise required by the host institution of the SDSN. They will be awarded a certificate of completion and a recommendation letter upon successful completion.
* Exceptional individuals may be offered a position within a project team or one of the Regional/National teams.
"A few hours removed from the wrap-up of the 2nd SDSN Mediterranean Conference, I want to take the opportunity to congratulate all current members of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Youth Network on doing a wonderful job to prepare and cover our session on "The Role of Youth for Sustainable Development", not just the keynote speakers ( Dario Bettaccini, Fulya Kundaklar, Şila Temizel) but many others who could not be present and whom I'd like to thank heartily for working tirelessly on the launch of this initiative and allowing me to be part of such a wonderful team for the foreseeable future, including (but not limited to) Siamak Sam Loni, Tim Dobermann, Michelle Huang, Melissa Peppin, and Ian Lieblich.
I also look forward to engage with executives and leaders of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network, and in particular those who attended the Conference (Maria Cortés-Puch, Holger Kuhle and Achim Dobermann), so as to make sure that SDSN Youth and SDSN work in close cooperation to support the adoption of a bold post-2015 agenda in New York later this year.
Finally, I applaud the organizing team from the Università degli Studi di Siena, who backed the idea of a session on youth involvement in the transition from the Millennium Development Goals to the Sustainable Development Goals and accomplished the feat of managing a perfectly successful event here in Siena."
A margine della Conferenza #SDSNMED, i nostri Dario Piselli e Dario Bettaccini sono stati intervistati dalla redazione di uRadio a proposito della Sessione dedicata al ruolo dei giovani per lo sviluppo sostenibile e del UN Sustainable Development Solutions Youth Network. Qui trovate l'intervista: http://www.uradio.org/sdsn-youth-spazio-ai-giovani-durante…/
(nella foto: Dario Bettaccini, Vice-President di Greening USiena. Credit: uRadio - Redazione)
Twitter Q&A with Prof. Achim Dobermann (Rothamsted Research; UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network Leadership Council)
If you are going to follow the live stream of UN Sustainable Development Solutions Youth Network's Session on "The Role of Youth for Sustainable Development" at the #SDSNMED Conference (http://www.youtube.com/unisiena), then be sure to join the Twitter Q&A we are holding at the end of it with Prof. Achim Dobermann. You can tweet your questions using #SDGYouth, #youth2015, #youthwill!
#UniSiena's #Sustainability class is ready to go for its second year! Learn more: http://www.unisi.it/…/sostenibilita-al-la-seconda-edizione-…