Check it out! The Sony Internet Player with Google TV is officially available in Canada today at the Sony Store and other retailers.
26 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 18 previous comments
- just to give you an update on your previous question, ctv worked fine when playing video but global seemed to have an issue moving to the next clip. also, when playing global the flash plugin crashed once and the browser force quit shortly after.Aug 19, 2012
- Thanks for the warning. I can handle the lack of Canadian content, which I rather expected, but not the bugs. I think the price is good given the hardware and the potential - sorry to hear that the experience is ruined by half-baked software. (Apparently 1st gen was the same way.)Aug 22, 2012
- I have a Logitech Revue with a VPN service running through my router...works sweet.
Google music works on any PC or handset with no VPN after setup.
Heck my Netflix goes "American" on my tablet with the VPN :-)
I'm a dual Canadian American citizen and feel the pain of the fictitious 45 parallel. Proud cord cutter since the revue hit 99$.Aug 23, 2012
- Finally returned mine yesterday. Will reconsider it when it gets an update. Had it nearly two weeks and used it only when someone had a question about its operation. Not yet ready for day to day use.Aug 23, 2012
- I got mine on Monday, and I cannot disagree more. I haven't had a single lock up, despite it being used for 10+ hours a day use with Plex, Netflix, Redux, and just miscellaneous mucking about. Plex's 'channel' support for things like TSN and CTV are pretty poor quality, but that has nothing to do with the device, it's the app. Streaming shows directly from watch.ctv.ca works well, although the page navigation is admittedly laggy with the flash support.
Google Music was just updated last night with GoogleTV support, which is a bonus. I'm not running any kind of HDMI into the box though, I don't have cable and am just using the device connected to the internet, so I don't get to test things like picture in picture.
The sony backed Crackle service has a pretty weak catelogue of content, but it IS a free service, and I'm never one to turn a nose up at free streaming.
I'll be giving the device a more complete review hopefully this weekend.Aug 23, 2012
- I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I found the browser extremely laggy and crashed frequently even when doing something as simple as viewing pictures on picasa. Plex is a fine app for sure, but I've been an XBMC user for years and I just can't get into plex. Given that you can get the Zotac ZBOXNANO-AD10-U for $209, I just don't think Google TV is worth it. A full computer does a much better job.Aug 24, 2012
Add a comment...