Shared publicly  - 
Follow-up to my earlier post, as I was a busy bee the last couple of hours... 

My first throw at a Cura WebUI (print dialog only (so far)) now includes a file manager for gcode files (stored in an "uploads" folder in Curas working directory, which will be an issue on regular windows install I guess, will have to work around that). Doesn't check the filetype yet and is insecure like hell, but it works :) Also revamped the UI a bit compared to my previous post (see

Sourcecode/Fork can be found here:
I do not guarantee that you'll be able to get it to work on your own machines yet though, still heavily tinkering with it.

Last but not least some words on my personal motivation for this pet project: I want to use a #raspberrypi  as a WiFi-enabled print host for my #Ultimaker  (printing only, the slicing will be done on my way more powerful workstation, the created gcode can then be upped via the webinterface -- might see if I can integrate this as an automatic step in Cura as well...). The web interfaces I found either didn't want to work or did not include any kind of monitoring of the progress or the current temperature, so I decided to try to adapt my so far favourite print tool Cura. The Web UI basically wraps the exact same backend code that's currently used for Cura's own print dialog. I'm currently only testing with the Virtual Printer included in the Cura source, but the code also had a short hello with the Ultimaker, so I'm quite happy with the results so far :)

(cc +Nils Hitze +Daid Braam +Florian Horsch +Nihad Abbasov +Ultimaker)
Andreas Gohr's profile photoGina Häußge's profile photoNelson Neves's profile photo
I haven't used cura so far, but I wonder what it's needed for. As far as I understand, the printers speak GCode directly over the serial line, so you should be able to stream the gcode directly to the printer and read results and status as well. This would make this even more lightweight for the use on a raspberry.
That was the initial idea (had nodejs in mind for this), but it turns out that you need quite some housekeeping for handling errors, monitoring etc that I'd have to "reinvent". The communication backend of cura already does all this and thanks to its modular design was easily usable, so I decided to go with that.
Wow, awesome stuff!
I've been doing a webinterface for a CNC using node.js, but recently got interested in the 3d Printing scene and started to adapt my previous code to use with my ultimaker. My core base work is now functional but the front-end is not ready yet, still I'm able to print the gcode file from node.js. I also aim to use this from a Linux Embedded board connected to the 3d printer (rPi, Olinuxino, etc)... been using Cura to make my first 3d objects, still learning new stuff every day, will sure give you project a run! It really looks nice!
+Nelson Neves Hehehe, I actually stumbled across your 3DPrinterInterface on Github, awesome stuff :) I first tried to extend that, but it turns out that getting the serial module to work under my Win7 64bit development machine lead to quite a number of new grey hairs on my head, and that was when I decided to try a Python-based approach (although I'd loved to get to know NodeJS) since I needed a quick solution.
+Gina Häußge oh really? It's a pity that node.js serialport module didn't quite worked out for you, I was not aware that there was some problems under win7 64bits ... men, It would be awesome to have some of your front-end work on my project, I love to make core development, but my front-end skills are very limited! 

I've been doing a lot of code re-factor, cause I'm also new to node.js and been learning a lot of new things, so only now I'm getting to a point where things are starting to look cleaner and more modular, now I really need to make some documentation to help others understand what's involved and how to used it. Also, need to put some basic functionality working in the front-end part, at the moment just have some very basic manual control commands, but have plenty of ideias on my TODO list!

From the Linux Embedded perspective, I've been using RaspberryPis using Linux Debian Raspbian image for a while, and everything works like a charm, I've made a few 3d objects completely from my node.js webapp on the rPi, now just need to test it with long printing jobs (6hours or more). My main core module (core.js, the one that speaks with the printer) is very efficient when printing the gcode file, it fetch small blocks of data avoiding to load big files into memory, so very friendly to use with Linux embedded hardware that don't have much ram (such as Olinuxino, etc).

I'm also trying to get this to work on the Olinuxino Micro running Arch Linux, but I'm also having a problem to get serialport module compiled :( ... all the rest seems to be working there!

Changing subject ... 
Now, about your idea of using Cura on a workstation to convert the .stl object to .gcode ... oh, awesome, I was just thinking on that! I'll probably get back to you for some tips ;)

Now I really need to check on your work, looking great! Please, keep it up ;)
Kind Regards.
Add a comment...