For over 25 years Gerry Moran has helped tune viewers into simply the best television programs on HBO, helped furnish the homes of IKEA customers, markered up hundreds of whiteboards at the award-winning digital ad agencies of imc2, Digitas and Whitman-Hart (Band Digital), schooled hundreds of young minds as an adjunct marketing professor at St. Joseph’s University. He also was founder of a virtual ad agency where he worked with hundreds of small-business clients!
However, since 2011 he’s been helping SAP run better with social media. Gerry helped build SAP’s North America’s social media team. He leads SAP’s North American social selling and marketing strategy, social media channels, and the Social Media Center Of Excellence. Gerry was awarded SAP’s Marketing Best Practice award for the social media training and enablement program, Social Media Office Hours, and has been named SAP's Quarterly MVP Award for social-selling program development and execution.
He has an MBA in Finance from St. Joseph’s University and a BBA in Marketing from St. Bonaventure University.
When not blogging at MarketingThink.com he can be found listening to Bruce Springsteen, Wilco and REM and imbibing in a fine West Coast IPA.
- Saint Joseph's UniversityMBA
- St. Bonaventure UniversityBBA
- Harvard Business SchoolStrategy
- MarketingThinkChief Blogger & Coach, 2012 - presentI blog to help a range of businesses, from iconic brands to small businesses, use social media to get more customers. With a conversational approach to complex challenges I provide easy-to-use ideas to help businesses amplify their message, engage readers with the best content and convert customer and prospect interest into sales.
- SAP AGSenior Director of Social Media, 2011 - presentI lead SAP's social media strategy for all industries, lines of business and solution areas in North America. I help the 25th biggest brand in the world help other businesses run better by - Leading SAP's NA Social Media Center of Excellence - Creating a world-class social media channel infrastructure and demand creation campaign program - Developing SAP's social selling strategy and enablement programs for North American sales force
- Saint Joseph's UniversityAdjunct Marketing Professor, 2000 - 2011Recruited to join nationally-recognized business school to teach to undergraduate- and graduate-level students. Devised a unique social media and in-class workshop teaching format; using Twitter (@ProfMoran) and a blog (MyMarketingClass.com) that has lead to increased student understanding of digital media’s role in marketing strategy and tactics. • Appointed to St. Joseph’s University Haub School of Business Marketing Advisory Board — driving curriculum policy decisions and mentoring current marketing students.
- Band Digital, Inc.Group Account Director, 2010 - 2011- Led agency relationship and digital strategy for Meijer, one the US's top 100 retailers. - Created and executed social media content and engagement strategy for Meijer that gained 200,000 social opt-ins over 12 months. - Developed strategy and launched social gaming site www.meijerpets.com, a comarketing venture with Meijer & Nestle Purina.
- Lorel Marketing GroupDirector of Digital Strategy, 2009 - 2010Led digital and traditional customer and patient acquisition, retention, and social media strategy and programs for key regional retail, pharmaceutical / wellness, and B2B brands.
- DigitasVP of Marketing, 2008 - 2009Secured to lead agency’s assignment to replace Astra Zeneca’s pharmaceutical sales force with an enterprise CRM solution targeting physicians – driving customer, brand, financial, and operational efficiencies. Successfully drove physician acquisition and retention strategy and delivery of first phase of enterprise CRM platform for NEXIUM.
- imc2Director of Relationship Marketing, 2007 - 2008As a member of agency’s Philadelphia leadership team, led development of the relationship marketing (RM) practice’s email product, social media solutions, best-practice strategy tools (email and engagement audits), and internal thought leadership publications. Key clients acquired and developed included Barilla, MyM&Ms, Fertility Lifelines, Seasonique, Pizza Hut, Diet Coke, Effient, alli, and Unisys.
- IKEAVP/Direct Marketing Manager, 2005 - 2007Directed team (database, CRM, interactive, catalog, and creative area) for IKEA’s US direct marketing operations — driving segmentation, communication, loyalty strategy, and operational efficiencies. Aligned US retail store network to ensure buy-in for customer acquisition plans, relationship marketing program launches, and in-store promotions to meet annual sales targets. Played key role in developing global CRM strategy for IKEA FAMILY consumer loyalty program and IKEA BUSINESS B2B program.
- Fox School of BusinessEMBA Director, 2004 - 2005Led Temple University's top-ranked Executive MBA program’s branding and recruiting strategy along with the program’s P&L. Key initiatives included: introduction of SEM/ SEO campaign strategy, launched Fox's Strategic Leadership Series, launched innovative scholarship strategy, and developed an Eastern European business leader program.
- HBODirector of Marketing, 1986 - 2004Formulated all Mid-Atlantic acquisition and retention subscription cable marketing strategies for Comcast, Time Warner, and smaller operators in various distribution stages (new build, go to market, and mature) and highly competitive markets. Directed an 8-person staff within a client service and field marketing framework to add and retain pay and basic television subscribers. Expert in creating strategy and execution plans for DRTV, radio, direct mail, print ads, telemarketing, and call center strategies and programs. Created and managed retail tie-in projects that included the NBA, Pizza Hut, McDonald’s, and NFL. Developed retail pricing, packaging, and merchandising strategies to convert subscription television prospects into long-term users.
- Ralston Purina CompanyProduct Marketing Manager, 1985 - 1986
- Eastman KodakSales Representative, 1983 - 1985
- Inspection Marketers, Inc.Founder and Owner, 1996 - 2004Envisioned concept and founded this virtual marketing services agency that worked with home inspection companies throughout the United States and Canada. Created a new way of marketing for home inspection companies by combining branding, direct marketing, and CRM with a unique mass-customization production model. Helped increase sales in a very competitive market, and quickly became the industry’s highest-rated source for brochure, direct mail, and newsletter marketing collateral. Accomplished national speaker and author on home inspection marketing strategy. Devised a virtual design and customer service team to grow and manage a client base of over 250 home inspection companies.
Mirror Mirror On The Wall. How Can I Fix My Social Branding?
Here are 10 easy steps to start to fix your social branding.
StartupNation - Source for Small Business Advice, Help Starting a Busine...
StartupNation provides real-world business advice to people who want to start a business and who want to grow their small businesses. Techno
How To Leverage Social Media Ambassadors & Experts at SAP TechEd Las...
October is fast approaching and do you know what season it is? MLB Baseball playoffs AND SAP TechEd! A double header of sorts.One of my fond
Integrate Social Media Into Your Catalog (and make a tree happier)
If a catalog is received in the mail and never read, was it ever really sent? Catalogs are what trees dream about at night. Bad Dreams. Nigh
MarketingThink by Gerry Moran | Social Media & Marketing Coaching
When I walked into the annual Valley Forge Craft Beer Festival by Starfish Productions last night I was not greeted as if I was walking into