Herb & Dijon Crusted Lamb Lollipops
Well, more technically, this is rack of lamb but just go along with me on it.
One of my favorite "Sunday dinner" things to make! I know a lot of people are afraid of lamb. It's "too greasy" or they are afraid they won't cook it right.
Key to success? A good internal thermometer. Also, starting at a high heat (400 degrees F) and decreasing to 350 once it's halfway or so to internal temp of 160. That will get you a medium (not quite rare) finish. I like it a little rarer but not everyone does so if cooking for friends that you're not sure of, this is probably safest.
Additional photos of the process: https://goo.gl/photos/RNCHpvVVuUGdjF1j7
1. Rinse the racks and pat dry. Sometimes there can be bone fragments from the butchering process. Rinse them off.
2. Rub bottom side of the racks with Kosher Salt. Turn racks over and paint the tops and sides with dijon mustard.
3. I use fresh rosemary, thyme and sage leaves from my yard because I happen to grow them year round. I wouldn't recommend dried. You should be able to find fresh herbs in your produce department. You've paid a fair amount for this meat. Spend a little on the fresh herbs to make it right.
4. I chop the herbs up to fine and then combine them with Kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorns. It's all kind of by feel but I'd say I used about 1/4 c. of the salt and 1 tblsp of the pepper for both these racks.
5. Insert your temperature probe from the end and running down the center of the thickest part of the meat to the center.
6. You can either grill these or roast in the oven. I usually prefer the grill but I ran out of propane (natch) shortly after starting these. No problem, in the oven at 400 they go! Reduced heat to 350 once the internal temp got to 145 or so.
7. Once the internal temp hits 160, remove from the grill or oven and REST for 10 minutes! If you don't, the juices will all run out.
8. Slice, serve, enjoy!
For more of my Super Bowl food and recipes, you'll need to check my "Clean Eats/Paleo" Collection. Thanks!#RackOfLamb #GrillIt #HerbCrustedLambLollipops #Homemade #CookingWithKimmy