- SolarEnergy.NetContributing Writer, 2014 - present
- Comic AddictionContributing Writer / Review, 2014 - present
- EE TimesContributing Writer, 2013 - present
- Gary Hilson - Writer, Editor, Content + Communications StrategistPrincipal, 2000 - present
- Network ComputingContributing Writer, 2012 - 2013
- Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION)O3 Community Manager, 2009 - 2012
- Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION)Projects + Alliances Consultant, 2008 - 2009
- Sacke and Associates Inc.Senior Account Consultant, 2003 - 2007
- Computing CanadaVarious, 2000 - 2003
- Silicon Valley NORTHVarious, 1996 - 2000
I've written thousands of words for print and pixel over the past 20 years, primarily as a journalist covering technology across North America. My specialties include enterprise and networking technology, startups, B2B content, education and research, community news, and entertainment, particularly science fiction and fantasy. In 1998, I was nominated for the prestigious Aurora Award for the now defunct Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Resource Guide.
My work has appeared in many leading technology publications past and present, including Computing Canada, Computer Dealer News, Network Computing and InformationWeek, as well as The Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Business Times, Strategy Magazine and the Winchester Press.
Formally trained as a journalist at Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology, I've learned that no matter what you are writing, the most important thing to remember is your audience. I also have formal training in project management, which has enabled me to juggle projects as an editor, communications professional, product manager and presently as a freelance writer. I have also contributed to Medium.
• Nearly two decades of experience in media and communications, specializing in translating complex concepts into plain language for different audiences
• Experience providing corporate communications and B2B copy writing to small and medium–sized technology companies in Canada, the United States and the UK
• Spearheaded the development and launch of an online collaboration service for Ontario researchers and educators as well as the corporate intranet for the Ontario Research and Innovation Network.
• Work experience spans small, entrepreneurial startups, large publicly traded corporations, non-profit organizations and virtual companies
• Amateur photographer and ballroom dancer
- University of TorontoCreative Writing, 2014 - present
- Arthur Murray Dance StudioBallroom / Latin Dancing, 2010 - 2011
- North Dundas District High SchoolHigh School Diploma, 1989 - 1994
- Algonquin CollegeJournalism (Print), 1994 - 1996
- University of TorontoProject Management Essentials, 2009 - 2009
EBN - Gary Hilson - University Research Affirms Benefits of Eliminating ...
There's lots of low hanging fruit for supply chains looking to improve delivery and reduce variability, according to corporate-sponsored res
EBN - Gary Hilson - Avnet Ups the Ante for Premier Farnell
The U.S. distributor has outbid Switzerland's Daetwyler Holding AG for the troubled Raspberry Pi maker
Doctor Who Season 8, Episode 11: Dark Water Written by Steven Moffat Directed by Rachel Talalay The Doctor: You betrayed me … betrayed my tr
Doctor Who Season 8, Episode 10 – In the Forest of the Night Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce Directed by Sheree Folkson This is an odd one.
Toshiba Expands Read-Intensive SSD Lineup | EE Times
PX03SN series uses Toshiba's NAND flash memory and targets server and storage systems, but it's a crowded landscape as many SSD and storage
Mass 3D NAND Production May Not Mean Mass Adoption | EE Times
It's still not clear if 2D NAND's successor can be made more cheaply, and there are other memory technologies that show long-term potential.
Violin Tunes Memory Array Platform to Speed Up Microsoft Apps | EE Times
Both data and applications have direct access to persistent memory to reduce latency and improve throughput.
These LEGO Prometheus models need tiny, smarmy androids
Prometheus has been out for give or take a month, but that hasn't stopped some intrepid souls from committing the film's eponymous spacecraf
Ford’s leadership failure killed his own subway dream
Councillors who might have supported the mayor if they had seen a convincing business case waited – and waited
Three Sleazy Moves Pharmaceutical Companies Use to Extend Patents
When pharmaceutical companies get a patent on a new molecule, they have 20 years to recoup the cost of developing a drug out of it. Two deca
YouTube - Formation Dance - Samba - Arthur Murray Toronto Medal Ball - S...
Create AccountSign In. Home. BrowseMoviesUpload. Hey there, this is not a commercial interruption. You're using an outdated browser, whi
This is how Francis Crick dealt with unwanted solicitations following th...
When James Watson and Francis Crick unveiled the double-helical structure of DNA, the pair became international celebrities. But with celebr