If you are in the Twin Cities, I will be giving a presentation tomorrow at the American Refugee Committee office in NE Minneapolis at 6:30pm. I’ll be showing many of the photos I’ve taken during my decade of traveling around the world. The address is:
615 1st Ave NE
I'm going to visit every single National Park Service site in the US!
- Everything-Everywhere.comTraveler, Photographer, Blogger, 2006 - present
- Creative Internet SolutionsCEO, 1994 - 1998
- Stomped.comCEO, 1999 - 2003
I have spent the better part of the last decade traveling around the world.
In March 2007 I sold my house and have been traveling around the world ever since. Since I started traveling, I have probably done and seen more than I have in the rest of my life combined.
So far I have visited over 170 countries and territories , all 50 US states, every Canadian province, every Australian state and territory, over 100 US National Park Service sites and over 290 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
I have also:
- Bungee jumped in New Zealand
- Floated in the Dead Sea
- Crossed the arctic circle in the Yukon
- Rode in a Formula 1 car at 180mpg (300kph) in Spain
- Been in the water with great white sharks in South Africa
- Dove in the ruins of the Great Lighthouse of Alexandria in Egypt
- Had an entire remote white sand beach to myself in Fiji
- Swam with whale sharks in Australia
- Been spelunking in Borneo
- Rode the world’s highest zip line in Puerto Rico
- Rode out a tsunami in Hawaii
- Visited an active war zone in Cambodia
- Resisted the temptation to take a $5,000,000 moon rock in the Solomon Islands
- Been kicked out of the nation of Kiribati
- Experienced the Thai New Year (Songkran) in Bangkok
- Experienced Holy Week in Jerusalem
- Got caught in the middle of a political protest in Thailand
- Swam with jellyfish in Palau
- Visited many of the greatest museums on Earth
- Traveled by plane, train, boat, car, bus, motorcycle, tuk tuk, bicycle, camel, elephant, horse, hot air balloon, and helicopter
I wasn’t always a world traveler. Other than occasional summer vacations, my family didn’t travel very much. I grew up in Wisconsin and never saw salt water until I was 21 years old. In 1998 I sold my business to a multinational corporation and they sent me on a whirlwind 3 week tour of their offices in January 1999. I visited Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, France, Germany, Belgium and the UK.
That trip stuck with me for years. I made a few other international trips after that to the Bahamas, Iceland and Argentina, but never really made a commitment to travel.
In 2004 I decided to go back to school and study geology. After seeing the hell that PhD students were going through, the idea of going to graduate school became very unappealing.
I decided to travel around the world.
It took about 2 years for me to tie up all the loose ends I had and sell my house. Finally, on March 13, 2007 I turned over the keys to my home.
I thought I’d be traveling for a year or maybe two. So far it has been over 8 years with no end in sight!
- Macalester CollegeMathematics, Economics & Political Science, 1987 - 1991
- University of MinnesotaGeology & Geophysics, 2004 - 2006