”The real collective intelligence cannot be named.”
-- , riffing on the Tao Te Ching
”Collective intelligence unfolds out of the implicate order through each one of our smallest necessary steps.”
”Twitter, Quora & Google+ is a Herakleitan source of collective intelligence. We're writing ourselves co-intelligent.”
Scenius, Group Flow & Group Genius Tea House Sequence:
Gather, Diverge, Scenify, Converge, Prototype
Gather: Participants, Expertise
Diverge: Personal passion, Unique talents
Scenify: Be part of something bigger, Performance
Converge: Flow, Alignment
Prototype: Satisfying work, Cocreation of value
”Healthy communities, institutions and societies -- perhaps even our collective survival -- depend on our ability to organize our collective affairs more wisely, in tune with each other and nature.
This ability to wisely organize our lives together -- all of us being wiser together than any of us could be alone -- we call co-intelligence.”
-- Tom Atlee
”Scenius stands for the intelligence and the intuition of a whole cultural scene. It is the communal form of the concept of the genius.”
-- Brian Eno
What conditions favour the emergence of scenius?
on Collective Intelligence, Quora:
In his blog post on scenius, cites the following attributes of the geography of scenius:
- Mutual appreciation -- Risky moves are applauded by the group, subtlety is appreciated, and friendly competition goads the shy. Scenius can be thought of as the best of peer pressure.
- Rapid exchange of tools and techniques -- As soon as something is invented, it is flaunted and then shared. Ideas flow quickly because they are flowing inside a common language and sensibility.
- Network effects of success -- When a record is broken, a hit happens, or breakthrough erupts, the success is claimed by the entire scene. This empowers the scene to further success.
- Local tolerance for the novelties -- The local "outside" does not push back too hard against the transgressions of the scene. The renegades and mavericks are protected by this buffer zone.
- Flexibility -- giving participants the freedom to be creative.
- Barriers to entry -- this filters out many wannabes.
- Barriers to exit -- keeps people around, so there are more prolonged contacts and people get to know one another.
- Nondescriptness -- from the outside you would never guess there was anything special about the place.
- Some flash of excitement to kick off the virtuous circle.
"To do something with soul, creativity or love; to put something of yourself into your work."
Social Architecture & Third Neighborhoods
The importance of social tools and settings for both startups and well established large organizations.
“We are seeing a rethinking of work, collaboration, and the role of management in a changing world, where the principles and tools of the web are transforming society, media, and business.”
-- Stowe Boyd
”Alex Steffen,. In his blog, Steffen suggests that the “art of courting genius” is an essential capability of those attempting to innovate and develop solutions to big problems. He points out that genius does not arrive on cue, but instead in “unruly clumps, in great non-linear spurts of changed thinking.” Without the right places and spaces, you’ll miss what you had hoped to achieve. Instead, you must “create a welcoming place for [genius] and increase the likelihood that it will show up.” Steffen uses the term “epicenters” to embrace the concept of scenius, places with the right ingredients to “set the conditions for a planetary explosion of new thinking.”
-- Alex Steffen, Worldchanging – A User’s Guide for the 21st Century
Nature of Order
”Wholeness (and life) emerges as a result of naturally occurring processes which are based on locii known as centers.”
-- James O. Coplien
Envisioning the Future
”You begin by talking to people-
”When the sum of all personal intelligences is greater than the sum of its part, because the field has become intelligent.”
”Collective intelligence and human development are interdependent and the basis of cultural evolution.”
”Collective intelligence emerges from our efforts to negotiate personal truths against inconvenient facts:”
”Collective intelligence is the the emergent quality if individual potential unfolds in deep reciprocal relation to others.”
”Collective intelligence is this extraordinary property of social living that emerges when beings collaborates.”