Rick Perry recently claimed that "the federal government has not engaged in (border security) at all." He was speaking at the GOP debate hosted by Fox News and Google on September 22nd, 2011, in Orlando, Fla.
Truthsquad.com fact-checked this claim from September 28th to October 5th, 2011 and rated it FALSE. We found overwhelming evidence that the federal government has devoted significant resources to stop illegal crossings of the U.S Mexico border, and has dramatically increased its border patrol efforts in recent years. Furthermore, trusted fact-checking organizations such as FactCheck and PolitiFact came to similar conclusions, after extensive research by their experienced journalists. Read the full report on our site: http://bit.ly/truthsquad-border
Here are some of the key facts which led us to reach this finding:
• The Department of Homeland Security has more than 20,000 border patrol agents
• The number of border security agents has more than doubled over the last decade
• Border patrol appropriations have tripled to 3.5 billion since 2000
• Obama’s proposed 2012 budget calls for even more border patrol increases
• Deportation and criminal enforcement of illegal immigrants have also increased
• Perry's own office cites partnerships with fed agencies like the U.S. Border Patrol
Community members who participated in this truthsquad are nearly unanimous in finding this claim false. We would like to thank all participants who have so generously contributed to this pilot so far. We really appreciate all of your great insights and hope that you learned as much from this experience as we did.
If you haven't participated in this pilot yet, give it a try. You'll be glad you did, as it's proving to be a really effective way for anyone to get better informed about important issues, by investigating them pro-actively in collaboration with other citizens and experienced journalists. The more we dig together, the more we learn as a community.
Can you join our next Truthsquad? This week, we're fact-checking Barack Obama's claim that construction workers are "paying a higher tax rate than somebody pulling in $50 million a year." TRUE OR FALSE?http://bit.ly/truthsquad-tax
Hope to see you on Truthsquad.com!