"The man in question had just managed to rob and flee from the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi when he spotted Bill Murray walking down the street. Rather than continuing to run away, the robber stopped and began talking to Murray."
Survive The Hate
http://survivethehate.org ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
#survivethehate #bully #antibully #itgetsbetter #victimstovictors
Hello! My name is Charlie Hoover and I'm trying to spread the word about a project that, as a result of crowd-sourcing here, I'm calling 'Survive The Hate'. The basic idea is to collect short-form stories from folks on Google+ about their experiences with bullying and how they've made it through the other side to become successful or at the very least comfortable with their place in the universe.
Once I have enough of them, I want to cobble it all together into a collection that will then be published as a free (donation supported) e-book and maybe even a website or mobile app. The goal is to give kids, teens and adults a source of inspiration in small bursts. The overall vibe I will be striving for is a subtle one so its not going to be preachy or in any way intimidating. The goal isn't to provide direct support so much as get the message across that they are most certainly not alone and that life actually does get better. I'm leaving the final shape of the project open based on what kind of content I get so your help will directly influence the final thing!
Why Short Form?
Simple. I want it to be the kind of thing that can be read or shared in small bursts via social networks (primarily G+ for now). There are tons of books and blogs about bully-related issues but I feel like especially here on G+ there are some truly inspiring stories to be heard! The stories themselves don't need to be long to have an impact and I believe as a whole they will become something greater. A Voltron composed of words, comics, music and video if you will...
Why not? Actually its a bunch of reasons but the one that tipped me over was Amanda Todd. You may have heard about the story of Amanda Todd and her tragic ending so I won't belabor it here. Suffice to say that it made me simultaneously sad and angry. Maybe its the way she was systematically stalked, the fact that she didn't find help in time or maybe its simply that she shares my stepdaughters name. Either way my feelings about this have only grown over the last couple of months and despite my own tendency to procrastinate I'm determined to make this work.
There are other reasons of course. The first one being a bit selfish in that growing up as an overweight geeky kid I got teased and bullied quite a bit and for a long time I was in a pretty dark place. Eventually I found out that there were other geeky 'misfits' out there like me and I slowly began to publicly embrace it. This has culminated in my participation on Google+ where I have connected with an astounding collection of people from all over the world. I want to make others feel that sense of connection.
This leads to my ultimate inspiration, which is you guys. Specifically folks from Google+ that I've spoken with at length about these issues and whose life stories are nothing short of heartbreakingly amazing. The things that some of you have been through and survived inspire me in ways I can't describe. I can't thank you enough for the help you've given so far as well as anything I might beg of you as things move ahead. Before I get too sappy though, lets get down to the details!
"What Do You Need?"
STORIES - Obviously I need stories. Keep it to 1500 words or less if you can. If you can't squeeze it down that far I understand but you can always submit multiple times.
Don't feel limited to text. Comics strips, paintings, songs, YouTube videos or any other form of expression that can be conveyed digitally are welcome! The more the merrier!
- Change names/locations to protect both the innocent and the guilty. I don't want this to cause more bullying, no matter how much the bully might deserve it. I'd prefer to leave the retribution to other sources.
- Stories should be about your own experiences if possible. If you write something on behalf of someone else thats fine (as long as they give permission) but please don't send in total fiction. The whole point of this is to give real examples to people who are going through really dark times and are likely not terribly trusting at the moment (for good reasons). If you fictionalize anything beyond whats needed to anonymize your story, please let me know!
- The focus is on personal stories/examples so I don't need anything that is directed at the reader. In other words I'd prefer to avoid anything that preaches too hard if possible. The web has enough motivational posters and I'd like to have a different tone than that.
VOLUNTEERS - For anyone who doesn't want to contribute material I could still use help on many fronts...
- Hackers (Editors) - I plan to do a lot of this myself but extra pairs of eyes/ears are always good. Especially if you already have experience with it!
- Makers (Artists/Developers) - I could really use help on this front. Everything from layouts and colors to logos are something of a mystery to me! Also I'd rather pull out my teeth than do web design/development lol.
- Ninjas (Cheerleaders) - Folks who can spread the word regularly to their circles to both collect stories and send out update notices. For this to really work I need to get the word out far and wide!
- Privateers (Testers) - Volunteers who might be asked to provide feedback on pretty much anything that we might need to have reviewed.
"OK So How Do I Submit My Content?"
I plan to offer numerous ways as things progress but for now I'd like entrees sent in via these methods:
Send emails to: email@example.com
Share Google Docs with: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post something and share it with this community.
Use the hashtag #survivethehate to tag content here on G+
"What Will You Do With All This Content?"
Right now the plan is to collect and edit content. If that works and I get enough stuff the eventual resulting product will be released under the Creative Commons license. Keep in mind that anything you submit will probably eventually go public, albeit under false names.
Anonymity is extremely important to me so I will do everything in my power to, as Gandalf might say; "Keep it secret, keep it safe." If you submit something and catch me before it gets posted and want it deleted I'll do so. If it makes it onto the web and you change your mind I'll also make an effort to remove it but as you know once it gets to the net it becomes very hard to erase!
Thanks For Reading All Of This
I would love to give you a slice of cake for getting here but sadly we all know the truth about the cake...=)
- Skiing Fred
- My Mammott
- Arcane Legends
- Cut the Rope
- Despicable Me:Minion Rush
Jindal calls Trump practically every name in the book - Democratic Under...
Bobby Jindal pulled no punches against Donald Trump on Thursday, raining down a deluge of criticisms on the current Republican leader in the
Meet Eclipse, the dog who figured out how to ride the bus all by herself |
A burglary suspect gave himself up when confronted by a homeowner and his three dogs Sunday, say investigators
Little Boys Learn A Lot From Watching 'Star Wars,' And It Isn't All Good...
Oh if a man tried To take his time on Earth And prove before he died What one man's life could be worth I wonder what would happen to this w
Gibbs: 'I hope they fire some people - Democratic Underground
Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday people should be fired over the problems with the roll out of the Affordable Car
Free Summarizer, an online automatic tool to summarize any text or article
Free online tool to automatically summarize any text in a few clicks.
RePost: Transcript of the NSA Surveillance Portion of my 6/9-10/13 show
http://kcaaradio.celestrion.net/kcaa-podcasts/leser/20130610.html (Note: 6 minutes of commercials before show starts and the below segment s