- Foster Survey CompanyPresident, 1993 - present
- EricColburn.com - Professional Land Surveyor Adviser & RevivalistProfessional Land Surveyor, 2008 - present
I am a father of three, husband, professional land surveyor, entrepreneur, and blogger. I love land surveying, it's much more complex, challenging and rewarding than you may have imagined. I love technology, but only if it adds value, fun - or both.
People are often surprised by how much goes into surveying their land and by how many diverse services professional land surveyors provide. I think they're also surprised by the high-tech equipment, software, and tools that we use, too.
Here's a short list of a few reasons I love being a professional land surveyor:
- Nearly every survey is challenging and no two surveys are exactly alike.
- There's history involved, from researching old deeds and maps to the fact that surveying is one of the oldest professions. Some say surveying is the second oldest profession.
- Surveying is often like a treasure hunt and solving a puzzle.
- I get to work inside and outside. Working inside is nice when the weather is bad and working outside can be a glorious gift when the weather and surroundings are nice.
- I'm great at what I do, and while a lot of this comes from hard work and learning to be a great land surveyor, a certain amount is also because of an innate ability and affinity that I have for the land, boundaries, and land surveying.
- I get to use my skills and abilities to help people.