But I do know how to help you talk about what you do in a way that draws ideal clients to you.
And I know how to do that quickly.
Click here to listen to my full interview with top-tier marketing consultant Jim Hart.
“Many people fail to realize that the first thing that slows up operations is an element of caution, fatigue or doubt on the part of a higher commander. [General George S.] Patton is never affected by these and as a consequence, his troops are not affected.”
– General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Doubt is contagious. If you hang around people infected with doubt, it will latch on to you.
Doubt also builds on itself. The more you doubt and second-guess yourself the more you’ll doubt and second guess yourself.
Courage is contagious. If you hang around people infected with courage, it will latch on to you.
Courage also builds on itself. The more you act with courage and refuse to second-guess yourself the more you’ll act with courage and be free from second-guessing yourself.
(And honestly – where would you be today if you’d given up doubt and second guessing just twelve months ago? Ponder that.)
In every situation there are reasons to doubt. And there are reasons to be courageous.
In the very same situation, some will see reason to doubt, and they will hang back.
Others will see reason to move ahead, and they will move.
Two people notice and magnify different parts of the very same picture. Then they take different actions and get wildly different results.
If you hang around with people who brood about how they can’t afford things, you’ll spend your life unable to afford things.
Not because you actually can’t afford things, but because you won’t know where to look to see the money. You’ll become so habitually used to looking where it isn’t that you won’t turn your head just a bit to see where it is.
If you hang around with people who believe they CAN afford things – you end up able to afford whatever you want. Which is merely a manifestation of choosing personal power.
Not because you will always have the money right then in your bank account. But because you will learn to see opportunities that most people simply walk right past.
And you’ll have the courage to jump on those opportunities while most behind you are busy doubting and second-guessing themselves. “Will it really, really work? Maybe this isn’t the right way to do it?” And so on.
It’s all about what you pay attention to.
But what you pay attention to is a LEARNED skill. Around here we call it Mental Toughness.
Waking up today, your current situation contains reasons to doubt your direction. It also contains reasons to be rock solid in your resolve.
For most of us, our default is to worry. To doubt. To second-guess.
But that’s just because we’ve not been trained. Drilled repeatedly in the habits of mental toughness.
Which is why we start our Plenty of Clients Mastery Program calls with a segment called “The Mental Toughness Drill.”
Or just “The Drill” for short.
Becoming mentally tough is a prerequisite for leadership, influence and income.
As we work with you to build a simple, repeatable marketing and selling system, you are going to hit obstacles. You’re going to have doubts. Second-guess yourself.
If you’re trying to do all this alone, then you’re bound to hit up against the ceiling of your own perception.
But when you’re in the trenches daily with people who have grown a higher ceiling, your own ceiling grows too.
You learn to see what they see. To think the way they think. And to grow as they’ve grown.
…You’ll never be the same again.
That’s why Eisenhower recommended Patton as a battle field commander par excellence.
People need leaders who help them see not the doubt (there’s always reason for doubt, remember) but to see the few things that will actually move you forward.
When you feel your time has come to abandon the faux comfort of doubt and hanging back, you might be ready for my “Plenty of Clients Mastery Program.”
And your next step should then be to go here and schedule a free “Consistent Flow of Clients Strategy Session” with me or one of my team. https://my.timedriver.com/DG5PP
Doubts about it? Yeah, there are reasons not to go there.
You can focus on them, stand back and let others grab the openings first. :-)
Or you can do like Patton – and just move.
There are two types of failure:
TYPE A: You try. You fail. You learn from it. You try again. This isn’t really failure. This is Learning and Growing.
TYPE B: You try. You fail. You don’t learn from it. Or you learn the wrong lessons. THIS is Failure: Trying to make the unworkable work.
The hard part is this: When you’re in the thick of it, with muddy boots, a scratched up face and torn coat, it can be hard to tell if you’re Learning or Failing.
So here are some of observations from my own experiences both Learning and Failing to help you do more of the former and less of the latter.
- When you pride yourself based on who you associate with, you’re Failing.
- When your pride flows from an Inner Knowing that you’re doing what you should do when you should do it, you’re Growing.
- When you’re trying to automate a sales process you can’t do manually or one-on-one, you’re Failing.- When you’re failing to convert prospects again and again, but each time you reflect and try something new, you’re Learning.
- When you’re trying to be the person other people expeect you to be, you’re probably Failing.
- When you’re slowing down and figuring out what you really want first, you’re Growing.
- When you’re looking for the Right Way to Succeed, you’re probably Failing.
- When you’re studying the principles to understand why things work when they do and don’t when they don’t, you’re Learning.
- When you’re flitting from one info product or teacher to another, and never really mastering what any of them can teach you, you’re Failing.
- When you read, listen, and apply what you learned from one teacher before going on to another, you’re Growing.
- When you’re worried that you are inadequate in some important way, you are Failing.
- When you know that the mind game is to see how far you’ve come – and not how far you still need to go – then you’re Learning.
- When you compare yourself to someone who’s been in the game much longer than you, you’re Failing.
- Again, when you compare yourself to where you’ve been yesterday, you’re Growing.
- When you expect it should be easy, when you seek ease over excellence, comfort over mastery – you’re Failing.
- When you expect to be challenged, to be chewed up and spit out a few times before you conquer that next hill… you’re Learning.
- When you’re trying to make big leaps, you’re probably Failing.
- When you’re putting one foot in front of the other, setting targets you believe are achievable and pursuing them relentlessly, you’re Growing.
- When you’re trying to do it all yourself, you’re probably Failing.
- When you surround yourself with people who are on the same path as you and you learn from each other and hold each other to a higher standard, you’re Growing.
- When you believe the talking heads on Bloomberg TV, you’re probably Failing.
- When you ignore them and believe those who have done what you want to be doing, you’re Learning.
- When you avoid conversations that make you uncomfortable, you’re probably Failing.
- When you take a deep breath and confront people with respect, you’re Growing.
- When you think the problem is your wife, you’re Failing.
- When you realize you’re probably guilty of the same and more, you’re Learning.
- When you take responsibility for things you can not control, you’re probably Failing.
- When you take full responsibility for the things you can control, you’re Growing.
- When you’re trying to sell to people you don’t deeply understand and don’t honestly care about, you’re Failing.
- When you care so much that you can’t help but be deeply, passionately interested in the people you’re selling to… you’re Learning.
- When you fear man and forget God, you’re Failing.
- When you remember that you are here to serve God by helping your fellow man, you’re Growing.
- When you hold others to a higher standard than you hold yourself, you’re Failing.
- When you hold yourself a higher standard than you hold others, you’re Learning.
- What you think that selling is something you do to others, and that your job is to ‘get’ them to buy, you’re probably Failing.
- When you understand that sales is nothing but leadership, you’re Growing.
- When you’re busy, busy, busy and not making time to think deeply about what you really, really want… you’re Failing.
When you regularly make time to reflect. To think. To ponder. To question. You’re Learning.
I’ve made all these mistakes and more.
And the greatest gift is to become aware of them, so we can learn the lessons and keep on moving.
Your comments, reactions and experiences are welcome below.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Dov Gordon helps consultants, coaches and other experts to create a steady, consistent, predictable flow of ideal clients.
Click here to get a free recording of his seminar "How to Be Noticed, Be Valued and Be Paid by the Clients You Want Most." http://dovgordon/bepaid
You know the old saying that “Birds of a feather flock together.”
It’s true. Eagles don’t hang out with pigeons.
Click the link to continue...
- The Gordon Group / The Alchemist Entrepreneur (TM)present
I help small business entrepreneurs build a steady, consistent, predictable flow of new customers and clients.
[For Consultants] I bet your partnership isn't working out so well. | Do...
If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times.Many of the good folks who later join me made this mistake.They were successful executive
Waiting for a 'break,' you miss your opportunity | LinkedIn
Your big opportunity today isn't going to look very exciting. People do busy work while waiting for the call: "Hey, I'm from Oprah's office
Hamas Caught Using Human Shields in Gaza - IDF Blog | The Official Blog ...
The IDF is currently engaged in Operation Protective Edge against Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist groups in the Gaza Strip. Hamas plac
How to Be Noticed, Be Valued and Be Paid by the Clients You Want Most
There comes a time when you say to yourself: "Enough. I've been working too hard for these puny results. Following all sorts of advice from
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » When you can no longer ignore the feeling t...
Some call it the seven year itch. Others call it a mid-life crisis. Still others call it getting “mad as hell and I'm not going to take it a
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » The Rube Goldberg school of client acquisit...
Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist famous for designing elaborate, comical processes for getting simple things done. Rube's 'inventions' are the
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » This is how you raise your fees.
When I DECIDED that I would not accept less than $x for coaching or consulting, a funny thing happened: I started getting clients at $x. And
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » The #1 error in thinking I see in my strate...
Would you aim for “Target B” if what you really wanted was “Target A?” Probably not, right? But what if you could clearly see “Target B.” An
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » What to do if your desire to help scuttles ...
Hi Dov,. I'd like to book a consulting session with you. Please could you let me know what you charge? As I've continued to apply your train
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » The struggle breaks many. A few emerge stro...
The struggle breaks many. We all start with a dream. With confidence that we'll make it. Knowing we are smart, talented and have something v
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » The gentleman I felt wasn’t a match writes ...
Last week I sent out an email saying that to attract better clients, you need to stop trying to sell to those who are not a good match. I ha
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » To attract better clients, stop trying to s...
We live in a world where slick marketers like to promise us overnight millions. There are two problems with overnight millions: 1. Only one
The Commission on Americans Living Abroad Act: H.R. 597: Commission on A...
Weigh in and send your message to Congress about The Commission on Americans Living Abroad Act: H.R. 597: Commission on Americans Living Abr
The Alchemist Entrepreneur » You’ll laugh when you see my #1 ranking in ...
There's a page on my site that gets lots of traffic – but drives zero business. And I figured you may as well benefit from it. A few years a
Tom Zeeb and I talk about how he sells his $25,000 coaching program | Th...
The Alchemist Entrepreneur. I help business owners get more quality customers in less time. Home; About & Testimonials; Entrepreneurs &a