Barry & Associates, Inc.
Principal, 1992 - present
• Provide research and analysis services:
- Design review
- Technical due diligence for investors
- Technical market positioning
- Technical research for new or existing patents
• Provide customized working sessions for service-oriented architecture:
- Envisioning your transition to a service-oriented architecture: A facilitated technical discussion
- Transitioning to a service-oriented architecture: Uncovering your organization's issues
- Service-oriented decomposition: Getting it right
• Coach/mentor corporate managers and project leads on technical issues.
• Author or editor of five books. Series editor for the Savvy Manager's Guides, published by Morgan Kaufmann. Wrote over 40 magazine columns or articles. Published over 400 pages of online articles at www.service-architecture.com/articles. Sole author of the Design Decomposition Blog at www.designdecomposition.com/blog.
Object Data Management Group (ODMG)
Executive Director, 1993 - 2002
• Organized and administered this international consortium of vendors and interested parties working on object storage standards. Developed a specification for an object interface for object and relational database management systems, which was used as a basis for the Java Data Objects (JDO) standard in the Sun Microsystems' Java Community Process.
• Edited the three books published by the ODMG.
• Served as the technical liaison to the NCITS (ANSI) SQL committee, the Object Management Group (OMG), and the ECMA standards organization.
Itasca Systems, Inc.
Chief Technical Officer and Founder, 1989 - 1992
• Directed the design and implementation of the Itasca distributed object database management system.
• Represented the company before Wall Street investment firms, venture capital firms and other investors.
• Negotiated the license for the ORION object database technology with Control Data Corporation and the Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC). The ORION technology was the basis of the Itasca product.
• Participated with MCC attorneys on legal action related to infringements of the MCC ORION technology.
Control Data Corporation
Senior Consultant, Research and Engineering, 1987 - 1989
• Technical liaison to the Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC) for object technology and database systems. MCC was one of the world’s premier software research organizations during the late 1980s through the early 1990s.
• Established 17 database technology transfer projects in Control Data business units using MCC technology.
• Trained people within Control Data so that they could evaluate object technology.
Control Data Corporation
Design Architect, Corporate Information Systems, 1984 - 1987
• Specified the primary corporate processes and interfaces to establish a baseline for new development.
• Reviewed and approved top-level designs for major development efforts.
• Participated in line organization design teams to work key design issues.
• Introduced the use of CASE tools as part of a software quality process.
Lead Software Developer, 1982 - 1987
• Managed development in Minneapolis and Vancouver, Canada.
• Established software guidelines for developing process-control software for the grain industry.
State of Minnesota
Research Analyst, 1974 - 1981
• Managed the insured unemployment statistics for the State of Minnesota.
• Directed the design for automating the collection of unemployment statistics.