(Some interesting perspectives in the comments section of this piece.)
- Get Rich SlowlyStaff writer, 2010 - present
- MSN MoneyFrugality blogger, 2006 - present
- Anchorage Daily News; Chicago Tribune; Philadelphia Inquirer; MSN Money1984 - 2001
In my past life I was a newspaper journalist (Anchorage Daily News, Chicago Tribune) and freelanced for a wide variety of publications — everything from Quail Unlimited to the New York Times Review of Books.
My writing has won regional and national awards, including prizes from the Association of Women in Communications, the National College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, the Society of Professional Journalists, the Society of American Travel Writers and the Women’s Sports Foundation.
I went to college for one year, 1976-77, and then started back up in autumn 2005. In December 2009 I earned a degree in the Comparative History of Ideas (B.A., magna cum laude) from the University of Washington in Seattle, where I was a Mary Gates Scholar.
I'm mom to one daughter, Abigail, who writes a PF/disability blog called I Pick Up Pennies. She makes me proud.
- North Seattle Community CollegeGeneral studies, 2005 - 2006
- University of WashingtonComparative History of Ideas, 2007 - 2009