Building the Positive Law Firm: The Legal Profession at Its Best
- Sidley AustinNorthern California Manager of Litigation & Practice Support, 2003 - presentDonald’s responsibilities include the direct supervision, training, and mentoring of the Northern California team of practice support professionals, eDiscovery consultants, and paralegals. He provides both internal and client facing consulting services relating to eDiscovery, business process automation, digital-forensics investigations, and information governance. Additionally, Donald delivers the regional coordination of trial-site consulting and graphics services. He develops internal curricula and skills assessments in a variety of topics including legal project management, graphic design, data analysis, and data visualization. Donald is a member of the department's leadership and participates in defining the firm-wide strategic direction for the department. This includes technology decisions, as well as the roles, responsibilities, and strategic direction of paralegals, litigation support, and practice support professionals Additionally, Donald delivers the regional coordination of trial-site consulting and graphics services. He is a member of the department's leadership and participate in defining the firm-wide strategic direction for the department. This includes technology decisions, as well as the roles, responsibilities and strategic direction of paralegals, litigation support, and practice support professionals.
- The Organization of Legal ProfessionalsAdvisory Council; Instructor & Lecturer, 2010 - presentGuest lecturer for the Fundamentals of Paralegal Management and Advanced Paralegal Management certificate programs focusing on financial controls, budgeting, forecasting, and analyzing profit & loss statements. Instructor for the five part Technology and Concepts (Advanced Practices) portion of the Litigation Support Management Certificate program with a focus on data security practices, eDiscovery, collection & forensics, cloud computing, predictive coding, and big data. _______ The OLP is a professional organization establishing guidelines and standards for the legal field, with an emphasis on e-discovery. The organization: evaluates compliance with the standards; recognizes organizations and programs which demonstrate compliance; serves as a resource on quality certification; certifies educational providers that meet The OLP's standards. The Purpose of the organization is to promote the common business interest of the legal community, establish guidelines and standards for legal professionals on e-discovery and other topics, evaluate compliance with same, and serve as a resource on quality certification. Members of The OLP include top level professionals: lawyers, judges, e-discovery managers, technicians, paralegals, case managers, litigation support managers, administrators, vendors, software developers, consultants, and others
- UrbanSculptBoard of Advisors - Technology, Compliance, & Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), 2010 - presentAs a member of the Board of Advisors for UrbanScult, LLC., Donald provides strategic guidance related to the organization's technology architecture and site design; he is responsible for helping align the organization's technology with its business goals. He also assists with the procurement and implementation of the company's legal compliance, HIPPA, eCommerce, and cloud-based business systems. In addition, he writes about social change and sustainability issues for the organization's Environmental Health and Sustainability Journal.
- Bever, Hoffman & Harms LLPConsultant, 2003 - 2003Following the dissolution of Skjerven Morrill, Donald contracted with Bever, Hoffman & Harms LLP (through his consultancy, Juristech) where he provided business-process consulting services relating to electronic patent applications & eIDS workflow. During this same period, Donald was retained to assist the Partners at Skjerven Morrill, LLP with dissolution and wind-down procedures. He counselled the attorneys on the implementation of automated practice solutions in their individual successor practices. Donald also coordinated the transfer of technology and critical data with Sidley Austin Brown & Wood and Pillsbury Winthrop.
- Skjerven Morrill, LLPFirm-Wide Litigation & Practice Support Mgr., 1996 - 2003As the Litigation & Practice Support Manager, Donald directly supervised, trained, and mentored a combination of 25-30 contract and full-time paralegals and litigation support professionals across 4 cities, while maintaining an average of 1,700 billable hours per year. Donald designed grading matrices used in the firm’s RIF programs, and optimized departmental workflow by eliminating redundancies and automating some support operations. He designed innovative procedures related to ePAVE and eIDS patent submission workflows, and developed data modeling solutions used in royalty calculations and licensing agreements. He conducted technical research of ‘at issue’ products and aided in the research and procurement of technical evidence. He also helped automate research processes by leveraging a combination data-aggregation and push-technology tools to monitor target companies and track tech-industry trends. Donald managed the firms automated litigation support services, providing technical consulting and hands-on support in the areas of e-discovery, computer forensics, and database design & administration. He also contributed to the successful development and launch of FirmNet™, a first-to-market web-based eDiscovery solution. - While acting as the project manager for both traditional and e-discovery based projects, Donald conducted document and data collections both domestically and internationally, including onsite collections in locations such as Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, and Japan. During his tenure at Skjerven Donald also cultivated extensive trial experience, serving as the onsite trial coordinator for numerous cases before US District Courts, International Trade Commission, Federal Circuit, and the International Gaming Commission.
- Quorum Estrin Consulting GroupLegal Project Manager, 1995 - 1996While with Quorum, Donald first supported. and then supervised projects on behalf of law firms and corporate legal departments such as Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati; Lockheed; and DuPont. He supervised teams of paralegals and attorneys on large-scale, onsite document collections, assisted with data collection and database projects in various DoD contract matters, and worked on numerous accounting compliance, diligence projects, and securities investigations
- Juristech Advisory GroupFounding Partner / Principal, 1991 - 2003Donald founded, and managed, a full-service estate planning company (originally branded California Will & Trust Co.). The organization partnered with real estate brokers, financial planners, attorneys, and other professionals in providing one-stop estate management consulting, planning, distribution, and wealth preservation services. The company also offered consumer facing estate planning solutions, WillScibe™ and TrustScibe™, early-market estate-planning automation products. - In 1993, Donald implemented the transition to JurisTech Advisory Services,* altering the company focus toward providing technology consulting, marketing services, and business process automation solutions to the legal and real estate industries. -From 1997-2001, the organization's service offerings were further expanded to include the development of embedded collaboration, social networking, and dynamic, content-management hosting platforms based on the WebCrossing server platform. During this endeavor, Donald supervised a global, virtual team of web developers, writers, authors, photographers, digital artists, and programmers. - Donald continues to maintain brand as research and education consultancy focused on a broad range of management and disruptive technological topics. *in some instances projects overlapped or ran concurrently with other positions or projects. ** The JurisTech domain was sold to Juristech Associates of CH in 1999.
- HCAABoard Chairman / Executive Director (Full-Time Volunteer Position), 1992 - 1994Donald co-founded and managed an urban blight abatement program in partnership with the City of San Jose's Project Blossom Program. He formed the board of directors, and acted as the liaison between City officials, local government, and residents living in distressed urban communities. He facilitated and participated in roundtable sessions with City Council, Mayors Office, and the heads of City Emergency Services. Coordinated legal education seminars in cooperation with Santa Clara County Legal Aid Society, managed volunteers in anti-gang programs and secured grant funding from foundations and local organizations.
- University of San Francisco Cambodia Law and Democracy ProjectResearcher, 1994 - 1995Assisted with research projects related to alleged atrocities perpetrated by the Khmer Rouge and the establishment of war crimes tribunals for the prosecution of genocide. The Cambodia Law and Democracy project was dedicated to building institutions to support the rule of law with justice. In the mid-1990s, the law school began similar work in Vietnam, focusing primarily on training judges. By 1999, USF was also active in Indonesia. That year the Center for Law and Global Justice was founded to serve as the umbrella organization for university pursuits relating to global justice
Donald currently serves as a member of the litigation & practice support management team at Sidley Austin, LLP, where he provides internal and client facing technical consulting in areas such as eDiscovery, digital forensics, and data-analytics. He also serves as an advisory council member and instructor for the Organization of Legal Professionals (OLP), and an advisory board member for the Coalition of Technology Resources for Lawyers (CTRL). In addition, he serves as a member of the board of advisors for UrbanSculpt, a San Francisco based environmental health education organization. Previously, Donald held consulting and management positions with the Silicon Valley based intellectual property boutique, Skjerven Morrill, LLP, and he began his career as founder and principal consultant at JurisTech.
Following his undergraduate studies in computer science at Touro College, Donald went on to complete Master certificates at both Villanova and Tulane Universities, followed by postgraduate studies at Florida Institute of Technology. He later earned an M.Sc in Leading Innovation & Technology, and is currently pursuing his Doctorate with a concentration in Technology Entrepreneurship (D.B.A.). His reseaDonald has led business and technology innovation at global law firms, nonprofit organizations, and Fortune 100 companies over a 20-year career in leadership, consultative, and entrepreneurial roles. His areas of expertise span a breath of managerial, creative, and computer-science related disciplines.
Following his undergraduate studies in computer science at a branch of the Touro College and University System, Donald went on to complete Master certificates with both Villanova and Tulane Universities, followed by postgraduate studies at Florida Institute of Technology. He later earned an M.Sc in Leading Innovation & Technology, and he is currently pursuing his Doctorate (D.B.A.) with a concentration in Technology Entrepreneurship with Walden, combined with Post Graduate work in Web Sciences and Big Data at The University of Liverpool. His doctoral research focuses on the systems implications of disruptive technologies such as deep machine learning on the legal services ecosystem. He is also a frequent speaker and writer on business, leadership, and legal technology topics.rch focuses on the systems implications of process automation and machine on the legal services industry. He is also a frequent speaker and writer on business, leadership, and legal technology topics.
- University of LiverpoolPost Graduate Programme, Web Sciences and Big Data, presentThe programme adopts an interdisciplinary approach encompassing a combination of web engineering and management skills. Coursework explores web development technologies, with an in-depth focus on social computing, cloud computing and mobile and grid computing. The programme also covers key aspects of big data infrastructure, data analytics, data modelling, and business intelligence. The Post Graduate Web Sciences and Big Data programme is part of a graduate education partnership with LIU and its global network of 80 universities across 29 countries that includes post-graduate and doctoral programs with Walden University’s College of Management and Technology (US), University of Liverpool (UK), University of Roehampton (UK), Monash University (SA), Chifley Business School (Australia) and Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (China).
- Touro CollegeB.Sc (Comp. Sci.), Computer Science / Software Engineering - Magna Cum LaudeComputer science program with an emphasis in web services engineering, object oriented programming, application design /debugging, and database architecture. Specialty projects focused on the development of secure B2B and B2C enterprise systems, the deployment of e-business processes, and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
- Tulane University - A.B. Freeman School of BusinessGCBA- Business Administration and Management, General, 2002 - 2003Tulane’s MBA Certificate program included an intensive series of executive business courses designed to provide students with the material MBA students encounter in the first year of business school. Topics included: Utilizing statistics to make conclusions based on a sample of data with a focus on acceptance sampling; marketing management examined as a process of mutually satisfying exchange as a function of strategically integrated product, price, promotion and distribution strategies; the accounting equation, the accounting cycle, financial statements, financial statement ratio analysis, cost concepts, and cost-volume-profit analysis; concepts and tools used in analyzing the investment and financing decisions made within firms including, the time value of money, stock and bond valuation and capital budgeting.
- Florida Institute of TechnologyPostgraduate Coursework - Master of Business Administration Information Technology Management, 2008 - 2010Coursework in the Master of Business Administration and Information Technology Management program focused on the application of core business disciplines such as accounting, finance, marketing, management, and economics to complex problems associated with today’s technology-driven environment. Technology coursework explored e-business strategies in a global marketplace, the value of emerging technologies as a competitive advantage, organizational competencies capabilities / capabilities associated with running a high-tech firm and the development of new tech related ventures. Transferred to the M.Sc in Leading Innovation and Technology.
- Villanova UniversityMaster Certificate - Information Systems Security Management; Project Management, 2010 - 2011A comprehensive, cross-disciplinary information-security & project management master’s certificate focusing on cyber-terrorism, computer forensics and systems security. Emphasis on best practices for forensic investigations and evidence handling, federal and state privacy laws, search and seizure processes, and compliance requirements for electronically stored information (ESI). • The Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) • Risk identification, assessment, prevention, control and mitigation • IS security policies, procedures and design models • Incident response and disaster recovery • Firewalls and intrusion detection systems • Identity management systems & biometrics • Access control and authentication methods • RADIUS, TACACS+, SMTP and POP • Wireless protocols, vulnerabilities and site security • Hardening the network and applications • Hashing, encryption and, digital signatures and cryptography • SSL/TLS, HTTPS and LDAP • Physical security • Disaster Recovery • Digital Forensics
- Walden UniversityMaster of Science Leadership: Leading Innovation and Technology, 2011 - 2013A scholar-practitioner modeled master's program with an emphasis in positive organizational change, sustainable management, and ethical, vision-oriented leadership. - Specialty emphasis in leveraging technology and analyzing emerging technologies to achieve competitive advantages in the global marketplace, nurturing innovation and cultivating technology development; aligning business needs with technology; and managing processes to ensure technology solutions enhance an organization’s competitive position.
- Walden UniversityDoctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.) - Technology Entrepreneurship, 2013 - 2016Walden’s College of Technology & Management is part of Laureate’s global network of more than 80 universities spanning 29 countries, that includes graduate program partnerships with the University of Liverpool, University of Roehampton, and Monash University. The semi-resident doctoral of business administration (DBA) specializing in technology entrepreneurship focuses on forward thinking, socially conscious solutions that drive innovation in the knowledge economy. Coursework included topics such as corporate social responsibility, sustainable supply-chain management, leadership of globally diverse organizations, and operational agility in the international marketplace. Specialty emphasis in leveraging IT-based solutions for competitive advantage; building strategic operations adaptable to the global economy; and promoting smart, sustainable growth at the vanguard of positive social change.
Horrifingly Beautiful Photos Show The Human Cost Of China's Massive Poll...
Gritty, detailed scenes from some of China's most polluted places will make you grateful for the air you breathe.
Bureau of Prisons mulls eDiscovery computers for inmates -- FCW
While there isn't yet an active solicitation, the Bureau of Prisons is seeking cost information on a combined hardware-software eDiscovery s
The Airport Of The Future Will Relax You, Instead Of Stressing You Nearl...
From yoga rooms to indoor parks to--gasp--actually making it not miserable to go through security, new airport designs are taking some of th
John Oliver Nails Climate Change Deniers On HBO Show
British comedian John Oliver set about dismantling those who deny climate change on his HBO show Last Week Tonight on Sunday evening, follow
At EcoLoft of San Francisco, we strive to bring you products that contri...
About EcoLoft EcoLoft, a subsidiary of UrbanSculpt®, is proud to introduce a complete line of household and personal care products and all-n
Productivity Hacks: Why 4 a.m. Is the Best Time to Work
This post is part of a series in which LinkedIn Influencers share their secrets to being more productive. See all their #productivityhacks h
Vendor Voice: Controlling E-Discovery Prices Is Crucial
The growth of e-discovery is creating tension in the relationship between corporations and retained counsel. Vendors must work to deliver af
US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet
• NSA and GCHQ unlock encryption used to protect emails, banking and medical records • $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech comp
Donald Billings - Northern California Manager of Litigation and Practice...
Donald Billings - See my professional info and contact me here!. Donald Billings has been a member on Naymz since July 31, 2010.
Wetlands Restoration To Be Celebrated In SF Tuesday: News: SFAppeal
Get headlines from the last 24 hours, and more. This Week's Popular Headlines. Lawyer For Cyclist Accused Of Killing Pedestrian Says He
Amidst M.B.A. Inflation, Executives Recommend Business Doctorates: Some ...
Once an exclusive credential that signified C-suite executive material, M.B.A.'s are becoming increasingly ubiquitous, which may dilute th
Naymz: Personal Brand Management and Networking Community
Naymz was established to help you create, define, and manage who you are on the Web.
Protect Ya Tech: The 10 Best iPad 2 Cases (So Far)
Keep your new Apple tablet looking fresh and damage-free with these protection covers.