8 things I want young people to know (this is not a debate -- if some of you don't like it, ignore it.)
1) When I was young, I wanted to be older and now that I'm older, I want to be younger. I don't really remember being in the 'sweet spot'. So, don't waste any time on waiting or wishing.
2) When I was 32, I got the job I have now and began saving for retirement. I've kept that job for 25 years, and now have 'barely enough - maybe' to survive retirement without becoming a burden to society. Get busy. ...
3) When you get to the status of "creepy old guy|gal", don't waste a lot of time trying to impress younger people. If related, they may love you, but most of the time, they really think you're creepy. Live with it.
4) The only way you will every get really, really good at something is to do it for a long time. Nobody is good at anything right away. Unless, of course, you have a really lousy sense of what 'good' is.
5) Choosing not to have children has it's up-side and it's down-side. On the up-side, nobody is moving back in with you, you're not shelling out for college, bail money, lawyers, or rent when you should be saving for retirement so you don't have to count on the little bastards to take care of you. On the minus side, there are no little bastards who you can guilt into taking care of you when you're old. Also, it's kinda empty.
6) Being up on current events is, I think, overrated. I think I would be much happier if I didn't know or care what was going on in the world.
7) If you smoke, give it the fuck up. Really -- I smoked for over 38 years and I seriously doubt that I got away with it. Only time will tell, but I'm not optimistic. Here's a tip that I'm comfortable giving -- If you smoke tobacco, switch over to e-cigs. Vaping has gotta be better than smoking. Anyway -- you can always watch me to see how I'm doing and, depending on what kills me eventually, you can modify your behavior to suit. Or not.
8 ) Legalization of pot for recreational use is really a bad idea. Now, I have smoked a lot of dope in my life and I know something about it. It, quite literally, makes you dumber if you twist one up every time you turn around. I'm so for the medical marijuana because it will put sleeping pill companies completely out of business. If and when I get cancer, I hope some of those relatives who love me will bring me Alice B Toklas brownies and sit and have a vape with me while I'm hooked up to the chemo. Of course, living in Alabama, it will always be a fantasy, but one can dream, can't one?