- USP - Universidade de São PauloPhysics, 2002 - 2005I learned a little bit about how Life, the Universe and all that works.
World Line with Finite Points Possessing Vanishing Partial Derivatives (about 500 words)
by Diogo A. F. Melo
_"Most space cadets, facing the sudden appearance of a black hole in their traced route, will desperate over the promise of meeting certain death inside its gravitational singularity. What they fail to realize is, given the proper black hole angular momentum and spaceship's path configuration, the singularity can be properly avoid and a wormhole leading to a different space-time point can be crossed. It's up to the pilot to face the uncertainty of such a journey in a positive, upbeat way instead of avoiding the exploration of exciting new worlds and new civilizations by paralysis caused by fear of the unknown."_ - Hyperspace Navigation, Cosmic Topological Defects, Alien Diplomacy and All That - Rookie Edition
I have a physics major with a solid background on theoretical physics, mainly in non-linear field theories and solitons. That section of my world line thought me the importance of conservative quantities in physics and the role played by symmetries in the Universe, including all the magic that happens when they are broken. I salute the Noether Theorem, the Standard Model and all those beautiful variational principles without which none of us would be here to tell any stories.
I did some teaching along all my life, which thought me that one of the most efficient ways of learning something was to digest it long enough so you could properly teach it to someone else.
I also have some experience with computer maintenance, where I learned the hard way the important role played by the second law of thermodynamics in the inner workings of our silicon machine tools. A feel things in life beats the thrill of trying to install an OS on a computer made by hand out of cannibalized parts of dead machines while using a large piece of ice to cool down the interior air of a desktop cabinet (true story). I also did some fooling around with web development (Drupal). I have some programming skills, mainly working with simulated physics experiments in university classes (Pascal, FORTRAN, Maple) and some Java and Python fiddling aside. And, almost needless to say, I do believe Linux is the way to go if you want to explore to the maximum, most efficient way, your logical gates gestalt.
I also adventured myself as a Human Reliability Assessment analyst working for Brazil´s Nuclear Power Plants Angra 1, 2 and 3 in their Probabilistic Security Analysis group, where I learned the painfully way how predictable behavior is directly proportional to one's mechanical degree of response.
Finally, after doing all those crazy stuff above, and having occasional nervous breaking downs which twisted my path to a different direction, I decided to do like Sinatra did, my way, and follow my true calling. That calling which was present in my life since childhood, when I held Asimov's "I, Robot" anthology of short stories. The same calling which propelled me to enroll a Physics major at the first place, in a country where all the "sane" people follow a lawyer, engineer or medic life if they want to have financial stability. I decided to tell stories for a living.
The End (?)
I have recently published my first novel in a serialized format. You can check it out here: https://leanpub.com/alpha-dog
- Pulp Sci-FictionWriter, 2014 - presentOwner and unique contributor to a one-author website specialized in Indie Science Fiction stories.
- Self employedWriter, 2012 - 2013Specialized in Science Fiction, with interest in merging such genre with others like Fantasy, Mystery (Hardboiled and Noir), Romance, Western, Thriller and (why not?) Erotica.
- WizardEnglish Teacher, 2013 - 2013
- Eletrobrás - EletronuclearPhysicist - Probabilist Risk Assessment Analyst, 2010 - 2012
- UNESPDocumentation, Information and Research Services Assistant, 2009 - 2010
- Escola Alianca"Radiations Physics" and "Radiation Hygiene and Protection" Teacher, 2006 - 2007
- FreelanceGhostwriter, 2013 - 2013I am a Writer specialized in Science Fiction with a degree in Physics. I have lots of experience in writing technical documents, as well as rephrasing complex topics into more familiar words due to my years as a physics/math teacher. I am specialized in Science Fiction, with interest in merging such genre with others like Fantasy, Mystery (Hardboiled and Noir), Romance, Western, Thriller and (why not?) Erotica. I am looking for opportunities to use my research and creative writing skills in order to help clients express their ideas or explore a determined subject of their choice.
- FreelanceTranslator English-Portuguese, 2013 - 2013As a native Portuguese speaker, I can easily perform translations between English and Portuguese.
- pulpscifition.com (current)
Rat Park drug experiment cartoon – Stuart McMillen comics
Comic about a classic experiment into drug addiction science: Rat Park. Would rats choose to take drugs if given a stimulating environment a
DoubleClick Publisher Blog: Achievement Unlocked: monetizing online game...
An official DoubleClick blog covering products for publishers, the advertising industry, upcoming events, and what it all means to you.
Tim Minchin singing the Pope Song with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra
WARNING! May be offensive to some. But if you feel offended then go fuck yourself, it's funny. Gotta love his lyrics, an absolute genius!
Estudo revela: Maconha afeta o Autismo Positivamente - smkbd
Estudo revela: Maconha afeta o Autismo Positivamente 1 5.00/5 Um novo estudo sobre como a maconha afeta o autismo, sem dúvida, alimenta as c
How to Know if You Are in a Parasitic Relationship
is an example of parasitic relationship, where the mosquito feeding on the human host is benefited at the expense of the host.]]A parasitic
Have It Your Way! 4-Year-Old Finds Weed-Filled Pipe In Burger King Kid's...
This might have been the toy in the bag some adults would be thrilled about. But when a weed-filled pipe was found in a kids meal purchased