2 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Ahhh, the good old days of fact-checking. Wherefore art thou?Nov 26, 2012
- Blogger: We don't have time to check facts! I have to get this out and be the first to post!
Journalist: I am not putting my reputation on the line until we run down every fact in this story.Nov 26, 2012
- Indeed. Neither are honestly particularly good lines of thought. There has to be room in the middle.Nov 26, 2012
- If you can't rely on a writer's being completely honest and truthful, you are left with nothing. Integrity and trust are not automatic--you earn them..Nov 26, 2012
- I'm fine with a blogger posting something that hasn't been fully vetted. As long as they have multiple sources to cite, and they make it clear that there's no official confirmation from any parties involved.
In this case, it was one article, on a questionable site, with zero citations to backup the assertion. That's just silly, and shouldn't have been given any credence by anybody until it was given some verification.
I'm fine with journalists writing things without complete fact-checking, as long as they let you know that.Nov 26, 2012
- As you know, Journalism is dedicated to telling the truth. No departure from that should be tolerated.Nov 26, 2012
- Agreed, if you're going to call yourself a Journalist.
If you're just calling yourself a Blogger or Columnist I'm willing to cut you a bit more slack.Nov 26, 2012