TL;DR: code.google.com/p/iosched has been updated for #io13
Every year, a few days before the Google I/O developer conference, the Android team publishes an app on Google Play that has two main goals. The first goal is to help conference-goers and remote viewers navigate their way around Moscone West or watch the keynote and session videos on their Android devices from home.
The second, and arguably more important goal of the app, is to serve as a large-scale demo of Android best practices covering both app design and technical implementation. Like any demo though, it's only useful if you can see how it all works by looking at the source code.
So today we're happy to announce that the Google I/O 2013 app source code is now available! Check it out by clicking the link below:
Google I/O 2013 Android App Source: http://code.google.com/p/iosched
The app source demonstrates a number of best practices such as:
• Implementing responsive design with fragments and alternative resources to support phones and tablets
• Using content providers and implicit intents to navigate the app
• Using sync adapters and GCM to keep content fresh across devices in a battery-friendly way
• Integrating Google+ for sign-in, public stream participation, and as a share target
• Integrating Google Play services to include Google Maps (with custom tiles, markers, and info windows) and +1 buttons
• Integrating the YouTube Android Player API to view live streams and recorded session videos, along with 'second-screen' presentation API support
• Exposing multiple entry points to the app with home screen and lockscreen widgets and expandable notifications
This is just a sample of the best practices covered in the app. There are tons of little gems to explore in the source code, available at the project site linked above.
Have any questions or comments on a particular part of the source? Post them in the comments below!
FL man fatally shot after urging driver not to do donuts in a Mustang
24-year-old Miami man Bradley Holt was killed in a drive-by after asking the driver of a car doing donuts in the street to be more careful.
Social Media News and Web Tips – Mashable – The Social Media Guide
Social Media news blog covering cool new websites and social networks: Facebook, Google, Twitter, MySpace and YouTube. The latest web techno
Tablified | Android Tablet Apps, Games & Reviews
Easily discover tablet specific apps for your Android tablet without having to spend all your time sifting through the Android Market. We fi
What it's like to own an Apple product - The Oatmeal
A journey on the emotional rollercoaster of owning a fancy apple gadget. Comics: Random Most Popular All Cats Grammar Food Animals Tech · Wh