Since the Supreme Court [narrowly] made same sex marriage legal in the US the other day (and as someone else pointed out on a post on G+, there should be more focus on the fact that the decision was 5-4, meaning 4 of the Judges were against gay people getting the same rights to marry as everyone else, which is a horrible fact), I've seen quite a number of the usual suspects crawling out of the woodwork and banging on about so called "traditional marriage".
Now, putting aside the fact that the traditional marriage they are on about only seems to extend to whatever arbitrary point in history they want to go back to, and doesn't, in actuality, bear any resemblance to actual
history, I felt this would be a good time to repost something I originally posted back in 2012, which addresses the claims made by those alleged traditionalists.
It should be noted that, almost without exception, those people claim to be arguing from a Christian perspective. Of course, the fact of the matter is they are talking nonsense. But then again, bigots never tend to let little things like facts get in the way.
Anyway, here's the post, recreated:________________________________________________________________
For all those Christians banging on about "same sex marriage goes against the Biblical definition of marriage", here is a list of biblical definitions of marriage. How many do you support?
1. Marriage shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5)
2. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines, in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)
3. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)
4. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)
5. Marriage is for life, divorce is not permitted. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)
6. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe, and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)
7. In lieu of marriage, if there are no acceptable men in your town, it is required that you get your dad drunk and have sex with him (even if he had previously offered you up as a sex toy to men young and old), tag-teaming with any sisters you may have. Of course, this rule applies only if you are female. (Gen 19:31-36)
8. If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives (Deut 22:28–29)
9. If you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her. (Deut 21:11-14)
Christians don't get to pick and choose. The Bible is the Word of God, according to the Christian faith, and you don't get to say part of the Word of God is ok and part is inconvenient so I'll just ignore it._________________________________________________________________
So, the rest of us should assume that Christians protesting same sex marriage as non-traditional, in the sense that it's not in the Bible, support all the versions of marriage listed here. And any Christians who are divorced, but protest about people of the same gender getting married, are nothing more than hypocrites. Presumably Jesus wouldn't have been very happy about them, given his dislike of hypocrites and people hating on others. #lovewins #itsjustmarriage