I built a lamp! For more than a decade I've been using a broken desk lamp to provide light over my small machines. Today, while I wrestled with it, I finally had enough! All it needed was a new base, so one 16mm hole in an inch thick piece of aluminum and I was in business.
However, after dismantling the articulated arm to get the wires through the new base, I figured I could replace the bulky head with its incandescent bulb with something more efficient. I had a left over LED panel meant to replace a car's interior light. I figured it would be great as long as I could find something to attach it to. I just happened to have a suitable piece of aluminum that came out of the trash at work.
The only problem was how to attach this piece to the flexible arm as this one was terminated with a fine thread for which I don't have the tap for. The matching part in the old lamp head is brass, so I decided to make an intermediate part in brass that I could silver solder to the threaded ring.
I know, at last, have a proper task lamp...