To say that this is in the interest of "security" or "privacy" is a total, utter, absolute GARBAGE HEAP of lies. Note that PPC queries are not affected even if you're signed in. Google: Just say that you want more people to run AdWords campaigns to get usable keyword intelligence. JUST SAY IT! Or maybe just develop a keyword research tool that effing works and charge for it! I'll pay if it works!!! Cannot wait to see& weigh in on this - they're pros on callin G out on their own BS.
9 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 6 previous comments
- That JS trick might work... but then do you think Google will look for that and penalize the site or just ban the site from using GA for violating the T's & C's?Oct 18, 2011
- Encrypt it or use another analytics platform or just add a word to it so it's officially not the referrer.Oct 18, 2011
- Ahh, Michael's comment about 'other analytics platforms' leads me to another point. Though the focus of the outrage is on Google right now and we're all yelling about how it affects Google Analytics, this is actually a change that will affect ALL web analytics platforms. The collection of the referrer is pretty much the same across the tools. With Google not passing that in secure search, all of these tools will be missing keyword data.
I'm just now realizing that there's a kind of power move going on here. Other web analytics tools will be missing this secure search-based data. period. But with GA and it's Webmaster Tools integration you at least get some high-level info on keywords. Interesting.Oct 18, 2011
- Nah I got that point. I'm just talking about the violation of GA's T&C. You're not violating it if you are pushing the referrer from the browser history to PiWik or Omniture or what have you.Oct 18, 2011
- I don't believe it's a violation the GA T&C either so probably no worries there (just don't store PII). Still, I just believe you have much larger legal issues to worry about if you use browser sniffing.Oct 18, 2011
- I'm literally shocked over the news & don't know what to say. C'mon Google you are only barking to people Don't Be Evil & now you only shows your true color. Also, how can you say that only small percentage of stats would be affected? I mean, don't you know half of the people are logged in when they search. If you wanted money only, you could have said that straightforwardly & not by doing this cowardice act. Frankly speaking, you make us addicted to your FREE charity & now whenever you make us to pay, I feel that you are stabbing & robbing us.Oct 20, 2011