There were a lot of announcements at the #GoogleAnalytics summit last week. Some old, some new. A lot of people have been asking me what I think are the biggest take-aways. Here are my top 5:
1. New enterprise API: now large orgs can automatically create properties, views, users and other config settings. This enables massive scale.
2. The Analytics ABC's. Analytics reports are now divided into Acquisition, Behavior and Conversion to better align with the real behavior of users. Metrics are also grouped in these categories.
3. Demographic Data. It's now possible to view some demographic data of your site visitors. This helps you understand who your users are can help drive your marketing strategies and tactics.
5. Analytics Academy. This one is near and dear to my heart :) I think the Education team did a great job launching this platform. Remember, the content will be available starting October 8.
Check out the blog post to learn more.
#measure #marketing #analytics
It was not a cheap service. On Quora someone purportedly from Topsy said it costs $12K annually:
"Thanks for asking this question. I run Sales at Topsy. The price for Topsy Pro is $12,000 per named user for an annual subscription. This includes unlimited data and standard email support." http://www.quora.com/Topsy/How-much-does-Topsy-Pro-Analytics-costs
But, Apple's track record for acquiring companies leaves nothing behind of the old services. All the companies they buy are fully an completely integrated into Apple's existing product base, and the old services are shut down.
So if you are using Topsy for anything today, start thinking about finding other services. In 6-12 months from now, Topsy is unlikely to be around anymore.
On that note, I also don't think this purchase has any larger strategic meaning. Several sites are speculating about anything from a revolutionized way for Apple to enter search, to revamped iOS search metaphors, to Apple partnering with TV to create a social TV search something.
I don't think any of that is likely. I think the Topsy acquisition is a purely backend tech option. Something they can use to understand data in a better way. I don't think this has anything to do with new front-end services that Apple is planning.
- Alpha InternationalSocial Media Manager, 2013 - present
- WebTrendsProfessional Services Engineer, 2011 - 2013
- AUT UniversityCommunication Studies, 2000 - 2002
Syria's heritage in ruins: before-and-after pictures
The war in Syria has claimed more than 130,000 lives and, as these images reveal, it is also laying waste to its historic buildings and Unes
Search Engine Land: News On Search Engines, Search Engine Optimization (...
Search Engine Land is a must read hub for news and information about search engine marketing, optimization and how search engines such as Go
Webtrends | The Global Leader in Mobile and Social Analytics
Webtrends dramatically improves digital marketing results for many of the world’s most admired and innovative companies. Our unified digital
Identify Website Goal Values & Win: Excellent Analytics Tips # 19
Quantifying the economic value created by your website is the key to unlocking your digital potential. But how do you identify the value of