I'd bet it's more due to that super-dangerous Dihydrogen Monoxide. That's where I'd put my money. Most people with that problem were probably exposed to DHMO. Parents give that stuff to their kids like it was water, without ever realising how dangerous it is!
I'd go on, but I have to take my kids to swimming lessons.
But it's not just radio contests ; according to the US NCHS report 46,419 people died in between 1999-2010 due to immersion in this stuff, in the United States alone. Make sure you keep your kids away from DHMO!