Manufacturing jobs are not done disappearing. Soon enough, your iPhone will be made entirely by robots, and even the truck shipping it will be driven by robots.
8 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 22 previous comments
- Since you still haven't answered the original question, I will just move on. Thanks.May 14, 2012
- "Capitalism pretty much depends upon our purchasing power. Why would a capitalist want poor, unemployed customers? Half of the reason factories are not self-running now is that the producers need the consumers."???
I've answered that...
They would be forced automate or outsource through competition... Without that approach they would go out of business... Not even the drug companies work on a moral basis... They only design drugs for the people that can afford them...
Where's your evidence about "Half of the reason factories are not self-running now is that the producers need the consumers."?May 14, 2012
- I don't think car manufacturers are in the business of keeping customers wealthy. There is a myth that Ford purposefully inflated wages, but he did not: he had to increase wages to recruit and retain his workers because many did not like the assembly line. It is entirely possible for companies to make products that their customers cannot afford. It happens all the time. What happens when the customers get too poor? Companies go out of business. This happens all the time in a recession. Just imagine what happens when companies don't need employees anymore... one company can choose to keep its employees to redistribute the wealth, but if the competitor does differently, then the generous company goes out of business... businesses really have little choice: they have to keep cutting costs even if it means firing all the employees. Vast "restructurations" happen all the time. General Motors fired... what?... half its staff in the last 10 years?May 14, 2012
- I'm sorry Bill, please excuse my emotional responses, it's something I feel very strongly about... Please don't take some heated words between us as a blocking point to take a look at where I'm coming from regarding the subject of a resource based economy.
Thanks, and best regards...May 14, 2012
- You know, it took me about 15 minutes to track this post down again? I tried key words, notifications, searching for people lol, it and my input had totally disappeared... does anyone else suffer with this or similar issues?May 15, 2012
- This has been an interesting discussion. I agree withthat the current economic system cannot handle the changes that are coming, but do not agree that anybody's current good idea about how things should work will be the solution to the problem. Unfortunately, the situation will evolve in baby steps from here to wherever. "Wherever" could be a very bad end. So what are the current baby steps that might lead to a better solution?May 15, 2012