More unbelievable antics by Arizona politicians (and some birther-sounding commenters below):
16 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 31 previous comments
- First, I agree. Barack Obama was born in the US. He is president of the united states. He is a natural born citizen.
The problem really is, nobody's defined natural born citizen. McCain got the congress to pass a resolution declaring him one. It really isn't cut and dry, and that's the problem. Citizen, yes, that's pretty easy to determine. Natural born? Not so much. The 14th amendment doesn't say someone is a natural born citizen. In fact, natural born citizen exists in one place in the constitution, and that's under the requirements to be a president.
There were two laws, one in 1790, and one that superseded it in 1795. Since that second law removed the phrase "natural born citizen", congress has NOT defined it. It's been left up to the courts.
And this whole "is Barack Obama a natural born citizen" is not the first time we faced this. It's not the first time a president or presumptive president has been challenged. In fact, it's more often the democrats that did the challenging.. Barry Goldwater, George Romney, John McCain, Llowel Weicker...
I just wish congress would pass a damn law saying "A Natural Born Citizen is one who is born of US parents", like the founders did in 1790 in the first congress when they realized there was a problem with the language of the constitution.
Under that law, Barack Obama is a natural born citizen, and this is all moot, and then we can go on with life :)May 20, 2012
- Joe, I agree with you. My only concern was the way that it seemed to be evasive on his part. I agree thatHawaii provided an unsigned copy, as did the White house. That will never completely satisfy all the skeptics. it could have been handled much betterMay 20, 2012
- It was handled just fine for anyone who isn't a pedant, an idiot, or a demagogue.May 20, 2012
- The "skeptics" just don't think it could be possibly legitimate that a half-African man whose middle name is Hussein could be the president. They start from that belief and then desperately look for evidence to support it. Also, resolutions passed by Congress have no legal effect: McCain was a born citizen of the United States because his parents were; the Constitution requires that the President be born a citizen, not that he be born on "US soil". The Panama Canal Zone was not US soil, it was only leased to the US by Panama. But this did not matter, McCain was eligible. Likewise, Mitt Romney's father George ran for president even though he was born in Mexico. Again, this was legal because he was a citizen at birth because his parents were.May 21, 2012
- Thanks for the effusive compliments. I always like to hear from someone who, having nothing substantive to say, chooses insults as his response. Have a great day.May 21, 2012
- : better than your insubstantive paranoid bigoted sophistry.May 21, 2012