Sombody edited this mothers day comic https://twitter.com/nixcraft/status/863822251300278273 and replaced with Linux distro. Hilarious.
189 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 5 previous comments
- Heh. I always get to a certain point and realize the system is dead, so I give up.2w
- Yeah, there's nothing stopping anyone from performing a barebones install, from Debian, Arch, Gentoo, or Void, then, if they want, compiling a kernel and cherry picking or compiling packages. There's the Slackware route, too. So, LFS seems like overkill, for most use cases. Certainly not knocking anyone who wants to give LFS a go, but there are certainly more expedient options.2w
- Sone hacks are done because we CAN.2w
- BTW, long ago I studied music briefly in high school and college. Actually wanted to be a composer but realized I just didn't have the talent or the stick-to-it-iveness such a path required.
But I've always loved music regardless and I think the modest insight given by some formal education allowed me to appreciate all forms of music a little better.
Recently I sat down with some modern software tools that weren't around when I was a student in the 1970s. I have begun an exercise I did way back when, doing an arrangement for chamber orchestra of a piano piece by the composer Anton Webern.
I'm using Finale on my Mac to do the scoring and then eventually plan to transfer it via MIDI to a Digital Audio Workstation package and do a recording of it using high-quality sampled instruments.
Why? No reason other than "because I can."2w
- Yeah, again, not knocking anyone who wants to build from scratch, just mentioning the *nix world gives the from scratch option, the full environment(s) option, and a lot of in-between options.2w
- ROFL! 😂2w