UNIQUE! 1976 VW High Top Camper Bus, Solar Enabled
Selling our beloved 1976 VW Bus, as we don’t have the space to give it the proper indoor storage it deserves. Runs great, well-tuned and well-maintained. In desperate need of a paint job before another full year outdoors.
This is a rare high-top camper is modified with a 120w of solar providing 110v AC in the passenger compartment and the batteries topped off. The camping equipment has been removed, but the rear seat still quickly folds down into a bed, along with a slide-out bunk on top.
The primary issue for sale is the need for a repaint. The previous owner did a poor job both preparing and applying paint, and there was no clear coat. For this reason, the paint is peeling away from seams and edges, as well as where the utility hookups were (poorly) patched. The high-top does not fit in a standard garage, so we are unable to keep it out of the elements. I fear another year or two outdoors without fresh paint will do permanent body damage.
I purchased this bus in 2007 already in running condition, but with a failing rear main seal. I put a new seal and clutch in (correctly, I might add) and there is fewer than 10,000 miles since. Over the previous seven years the bus has received new axles and cv boots, lifter tube seals, plugs/wires/distributer, all fuel lines, had the vaccum lines properly sorted out, and has generally been brought into great working order. I have no idea how many miles are on the bus, but since it is a 1979 motor, I can assume this was a rebuild. There is some noise in one of the hydrolic lifters when it starts, but goes away once it warms. While I’ve done a fair amount of the mechanical work myself, the bus has been in for professional work many times at Wolfsberg Autowerks in Boulder, CO. They are a particularly reputable VW shop that specializes in older vehicles. It was most recently in last summer when a small engine fire required the replacement of many of the top hoses and wires, and I wanted to be sure everything was properly installed and tuned.
The bus is also due for new tires.
in 2009 I added 120w (two 60watt panels), inverter, charge controller, secondary marine battery and 110v outlet, mostly because it was cool. Everything is in full working order, and makes this great on camping trips.
I have a significant collection of pieces and parts, including a full engine core (in need of a rebuild) that comes with the bus. This includes slat windows, extra seat belts, and various small mechanical parts I don’t plan to inventory. I’ll throw everything in boxes and include with the sale.
I know there are details I’ve missed, but I hope most are covered in the linked photo album. Please feel free to send questions along and I will respond as I am able.
While an in-person sale would be great, I would be willing to arrange a wire-transfer. Buyer pays all shipping costs.
A couple good friends just started a company selling superhero capes for kids! Check it out.
- University of Colorado at BoulderAcademic Technology Consultant, 2009 - 2013Provide instructional design and project management support to college and campus academic technology efforts. Supervise undergraduate and graduate student employees. Offered expanded role by CEAS Associate Dean to increase focus on college growth projects.
- ConsultantGoogle Apps/Personal Productivity, 2007 - 2012
- Watershed SchoolDirector of Educational Technology, Teacher, 2006 - 2009
- Sunflower SolarLead Installer, 2005 - 2006
- Bits, Bytes and BotsLead Instructor, 2003 - 2004
- University of Colorado BoulderLearning Experience Designer, 2013 - presentLearning Experience Designers at the University of Colorado Boulder lead pilot efforts targeted at solving high impact learning problems Working closely with University leadership, LXDs build scalable and sustainable innovations focused on the university’s strategic goals: increased student retention, new revenue streams, and improved University reputation.
I am a technologist, recovering classroom teacher, and hopeless optimist who holds an M.Ed. from Harvard University ('06) and a B.A. from the University of Colorado at Boulder (‘04).
I joined the Academic Technology unit at the University of Colorado at Boulder in June of 2010, and currently serve as the Academic Technology Consultant in the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
When I'm not trying to save the world one AAU University at a time, I am a professional consultant specializing in Google Apps and Personal Productivity.
My 2-year-old daughter has probably been to Burning Man more times than you.
- Harvard UniversityM.Ed. Learning and Teaching, 2005 - 2006
- University of Colorado at BoulderBA English, 1999 - 2004