- Andros MunicipalitySocio-Economic Development Consultant, 2008 - 2012At the request of the Andros Island Mayor and Municipal Council to create employment opportunities, I procured a €1.8 million EU LIFE+ Nature programme funded 75% by the European Commission (EC) as part of a larger plan to increase employment opportunities based on wildlife conservation and ecotourism development. The programme was designed to facilitate the independent establishment and promotion of self-funding venues for employment creation aimed at animal welfare, such as (i) a Special Protection Area (SPA) management organisation for the island SPA and (ii) an NGO in the form of a non-profit membership association for wildlife protection and ecotourism development, for which I developed the bylaws and business plan. As part of the aforementioned plan, I procured a €250,000 funding commitment from the Alexander S. Onassis Foundation as well as the written support of all 12 Northern Cycladic municipalities and the Fishermen’s Union of the Southern Aegean for my development of a €2.2 million EU LIFE+ Nature project funding application for a marine protected area (MPA) and permanent MPA management organisation to be established in conjunction with the aforementioned NGO.
- EU LIFE Nature Project Tilos:" Conservation management of an island Special Protected Area"Project Coordinator, 2004 - 2008I procured and served as Project Coordinator of an €825,000 European Commission (EC) LIFE Nature project that included wildlife conservation measures, the creation of a permanent cultural and wildlife photographic Exhibition and Visitor Centre, international project promotion and the development of a financial business plan as well as stakeholder support for post-project actions in this island SPA and EU Natura 2000 site. I also procured a €373,000 EU Intereg III wetland project, €30,000 from the European Nature Heritage Fund, a EUROPARC-funded ornithological internship led by a Spanish university Ph.D. candidate, €115,000 for an international marketing programme funded by the European Regional Development Fund, and €50,000 from the Hellenic Ministry of Labour.
- Tilos Park AssociationFounder & Executive Director, 2002 - 2008I organised and founded the Tilos Park Association (TPA), a non-profit membership association (NGO), and served as its Vice President as well as its Executive Director. My services included: the NGO marketing and financial administration; funds procurement from dues, donations and international as well as national programmes; European conference speaking engagements; membership recruitment; the establishment of the Tilos Avian Recovery Centre (ARC); and the creation of island employment opportunities associated with the new NGO, the Tilos National Park* establishment and its permanent management organisation, island tour development, and Greek-Turkish (Tilos-Armutalan) ecotourism development and sister city affiliation. * I organised the documentation and lobbied 5 national Ministries, the regional/local governments and stakeholders for the 2006 procurement of all requisite approvals for the establishment of the Tilos National Park covering the entire island and its 16 islets. One aim of this endeavour was to incorporate a permanent island hunting ban in the law establishing the National Park, which is rare in Europe. I lobbied for and procured successive annual Hellenic Administrative Decrees prohibiting island hunting pending the receipt of all requisite National Park establishment approvals.
- Tilos MunicipalitySocio-Economic Development Consultant, 2002 - 2004At the request of the Tilos Island Mayor and Municipal Council to increase employment and profitability for the island’s eco-tourism and agricultural sectors, I developed a two-part plan consisting of the procurement of programmes funded by the EC (LIFE Nature Fund, European Regional Development Fund), other institutions (e.g. EUROPARC Federation, European Nature Heritage Fund, Hellenic Conservation Volunteers) and the Hellenic Ministry of Labour which collectively supported the second part of the plan consisting of the establishment of self-funding venues for sustainable employment creation aimed at wildlife and natural resource conservation, including an NGO, a Hellenic National Park with a permanent management organisation and wildlife rehabilitation centre, and cross-channel Greek-Turkish ecotourism development and sister city affiliation. My principal services to the Municipality are hereinafter set above.
- Agri BusinessBusiness Development Consultant, 1994 - 2002I served as a consultant to European private sector clients in the agricultural industry. This business included the development, financing and establishment of joint venture projects. One such project was a Franco-Belarusian dairy facility located in Vitebsk, Belarus, for EU-Belarusian agricultural development and employment creation which was financed by the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development. This joint venture necessitated the direct written approval of Alexander Lukashenko, President of Belarus, which was obtained.
- European CommissionConsultant, 1991 - 1995I served as an EC Social Fund consultant contributing to the design and implementation of three EU human resources initiatives valued at €1.2 billion – (1) EUROFORM for vocational training and employment promotion measures for the long term unemployed, (2) NOW for vocational training and promotion of equal opportunities for women and (3) HORIZON for improvement of labour market access conditions for people with special needs.
- H. J. Meyers & Co. Inc.Manging Director, 1989 - 1991I served as Managing Director of the Private Client Division of the largest, independently owned investment banking firm in California; a Founder and Board of Directors member of the Council of European-American Chambers of Commerce; and Board of Directors member of the philanthropic Axios Foundation which annually raised $500,000.
- Merrill LynchFinancial Consultant, 1985 - 1989Financial Consultant, registered with the National Association of Securities Dealers, licensed to practice in California, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Washington State.
My professional experience includes having served as a Merrill Lynch Financial Consultant and Managing Director for H. J. Meyers investment banks in California; a consultant to the Commission of the European Union in Brussels, Belgium; a business development consultant to members of the European agriculture industries and the Hellenic Municipalities of Tilos and Andros; and the Project Coordinator of the EU LIFE-Nature Project on Tilos. My civic activities include community service as the President of the California Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce; Founder and Director of the California Council of European-American Chambers of Commerce; Board of Directors Member of the Axios Foundation and the Los Angeles Rainbow PUSH Coalition; Member of the American Civil Liberties Union, AHEPA, Rotary Club, Sierra Club, Audubon Society; and Founder, Vice President and Director of the Tilos Park Association. My articles and photographs have been published by newspapers and magazines in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Turkey, the U.K. and U.S., and I have been interviewed by television and radio journalists from Belgium, Greece, Japan, Spain, Turkey and the U.S.. I have contributed as a speaker to conferences organised by the European Commission, the United Nations Environment Program, Mugla University and the Mugla Chamber of Commerce in Turkey, Washington State University and the National Institute of Public Administration in Greece. In 2007, I was appointed as an Ambassador of the EU Natura 2000 Networking Program for exemplary environmental management of an EU Special Protection Area (SPA). I completed recently my work for the establishment of a management plan for the Andros Island EU SPAs and a Northern Cycladic marine protected area. In 2013, I was selected to train with Vice President Al Gore as a member of his Climate Reality Project Leadership Corps.I am a citizen of the United States and Greece. (a.k.a. Konstantinos Alexandros Mentzelopoulos).