Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says:
"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
The Communist Party-controlled government of China, of course, suppresses this human right by heavily censoring the Internet.
There used to be an app called OpenDoor, which enabled iPhone users to overcome this suppression of human rights by giving them access to information censored by the Chinese government.
Apple has removed the app from the Apple App Store. The company also removed a different app that provided access to books banned in China.
It's likely that Apple did so either as a form of kowtowing self-censorship or was ordered to do so by the Chinese government as a cost of doing business in China.
Either way, Apple has traded human rights for cash, has conspired with the Chinese government to suppress human rights, and it's a despicable act.
A soap opera called Baktún is the world’s first Maya language telenovela.
The show has 24 episodes, which are playing on TV in the Yucatan and also on YouTube.
There are approximately 750,000 speakers of Maya in Mexico, but the language is dying out.
My tribute to Edward Champion's 35 Arguments Against Google Glass http://bit.ly/10S7tEl
See also this equally skeptical report on the light bulb's efficacy in 1880: http://bit.ly/YTDy7A
1. They get hot and can burn people.
2. They can explode.
3. They can damage the eyes.
4. People will get electrocuted.
5. The system requires an entirely new and costly infrastructure.
6. It requires new sources of energy.
7. It will eventually cause global political imbalance and war over energy.
8. Artificial light will confuse and possibly kill birds. (See separate lists on the dangers of glass and steel, which will lead to glass highrises.)
9. Wires will be a blot on the landscape.
10. Harsh light will be a blot on the landscape (imagine Times Square).
11. There will be no privacy on the street for those leaving houses of ill repute.
12. The candlewax industry will be hurt.
13. The natural gas industry will be hurt.
14. Lamplighters will lose jobs.
15. Human beings will lose sleep.
15. People will suffer from tired eyes.
16. Being expensive, some people will have light and others will not, leading to a divide in society: the lit and the not-lit.
17. People will read too much. (See separate list of objections to Gutenberg's technology)
18. They could cause fire.
19. They will lead to people leading unnatural lives outside of natural body rhythms of light and dark.
20. They will lead to an increase in trash.
21. They will lead to an increase in pollution.
I couldn't come up with more. I guess Champion wins.
Fear the Boot » Blog Archive » Episode 250 – campaign-level play
A podcast and blog offering an irreverent look at tabletop roleplaying games and a little bit more.
Gaming Examiner | Baldur's Gate 'Enhanced Edition' announced with new co...
The countdown on Baldur's Gate has reached 00:00:00 and the team at Overhaul Games have announced a new
'Red Dragon' Mission Mulled as Cheap Search for Mars Life | Life...
NASA may fly a future life-hunting Mars mission aboard SpaceX's privately built Dragon capsule. This so-called "Red Dragon" mission could la
ALPHA CENTAURI HAS A PLANET! | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine
Astronomy | Huge news! Astronomers have announced they have found a planet orbiting one of the stars making up the most famous star in the s
CPAC Panel Will Feature White Nationalist Leader Brimelow
It was bad enough when CPAC recently allowed the wacko paleo-conservative John Birch Society to have an exhibit, but this year things are ex
Video: Ron Paul's 1998 John Birch Society Documentary on the UN Plot To ...
Andrew Kaczynski has dug up yet another buried video, a 1998 John Birch Society documentary starring none other than Ron Paul -- a classic e
Food Politics » It’s official! Pizza is a vegetable!
It's official! Pizza is a vegetable! The word is out. Congress caved in under pressure from lobbyists on the school nutrition standards
Discovery: Cosmic Dust Contains Organic Matter from Stars | Star Dust, S...
Dust that permeates the universe could be produced naturally by stars, and has a much more complex chemical makeup than was previously thoug
In Tunisia, Islamists flourish as democracy is ushered in
Tunisia, a rigorously secular nation under the previous regime, is emerging as a test case for whether Islamist ideology and democracy can c