I'm giving away 3 copies of the marketing kit I created in which I lay out the exact approach I take to promote a production (which I've used to sell out shows repeatedly). Viva la art!
- Sold Out RunBlogger / Podcaster, 2010 - presentThis blog is designed to help people who have responsibility for promoting a live performance (either eagerly or sometimes not so eagerly) thrust upon them. My overriding marketing philosophy is to identify the unique traits of your show and use them to grab people’s attention and build an audience. From time to time I touch on tactics specifically intended to build your brand, but for the most part I develop content with a bias toward promoting individual shows. This is the most fundamental part of arts marketing, and you should have a good handle on it before moving on to concepts like audience development and personal branding.
- Site PotionOwner, 2006 - present
- Silver SquareCOO, 2008 - 2013
- Specialty Risk International
- Technology Service Corporation
- Indiana University Center for Survey Research
- various movie theaters
- Indiana UniversityBusiness: Computer Information Systems, 1995 - 1999
Lashes Off! Revealing Who You Really Are is So Sexy
Vulnerability is sexy. Opening up who we really are creates opportunities for people to connect. Think about the last time you felt truly in
How To Paper the House the Right Way (I Think) - Sold Out Run
Having a full house on opening night is a great way to begin your run. It creates energy and an exciting atmosphere that can accelerate the
11 Tips On How To Promote Opening Night - Sold Out Run
Most theatrical runs whether professional or amateur last at least a few weeks. You may have a small crowd the first few nights, but as thos
SOR 004: Theatre For Fun and Profit - Sold Out Run
I’m going solo in this episode of the podcast, talking about money. It’s always bothered me that so many theatres and acting companies (ofte
When to Use Each of the Major Social Media Platforms
Not all social media platforms are created equal. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and each requires a slightly different appro
Create a Clickable Map - A Quick and Free Way to Generate a Clickable Ma...
100% Free! Create a clickable US Map to embed on your website, complete with customization options, all from one page!
Five Wrong Turns in Multicultural Marketing and How to Make Them Right |...
In 2012, too many professionals still fall back on ethnic stereotypes when planning brand strategy and appropriating adequate funds to suppo
The Danger of Relying on Word of Mouth - Sold Out RunThe Danger of Relyi...
Word of mouth can be one of the most explosive and efficient means of marketing your show… -but it usually isn’t. Sure it’s inexpensive and
Sold Out Run Podcast 001: The First EpisodeSOR 001: The First Episode
I couldn’t be more excited to be releasing the first episode of the Sold Out Run podcast. This is a project that has been months (really yea
Marketing is About Making Friends - Silver SquareMarketing is About Maki...
Once upon a time it wasn't practical to have a relationship with the maker of our favorite laundry detergent. You would make buying decision
Review: “Reaching a New Audience” theatre marketing kit |
I'm always looking for new ideas and advice on how to improve our theater's profit and build strong audiences and loyal fans. So it's no sur