How did the debt crisis happen?
1. lawmakers repeatedly passed legislation that spends more money than the government takes in, ignoring potential consequences.
2. Presidents (mostly starting with Bush and really kicking in with Obama) pushed through spending programs that bore no relationship to fiscal sanity.
3. In 2010, the voters said "enough" and voted in a bunch of Tea Party Republicans, giving them a mandate to put a stop to 1. and 2.
4. You know the rest. Even if we just raise the debt limit again, our debt will still be downgraded unless serious spending cuts are enacted.
5. Did I miss anything? Fill in the blanks!