I see this kind of question several times a week; you’re not alone - many websites have crawl errors.
1) 404 errors on invalid URLs do not harm your site’s indexing or ranking in any way. It doesn’t matter if there are 100 or 10 million, they won’t harm your site’s ranking. http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ch/2011/05/do-404s-hurt-my-site.html
2) In some cases, crawl errors may come from a legitimate structural issue within your website or CMS. How you tell? Double-check the origin of the crawl error. If there's a broken link on your site, in your page's static HTML, then that's always worth fixing. (thanks )
4) You don’t need to fix crawl errors in Webmaster Tools. The “mark as fixed” feature is only to help you, if you want to keep track of your progress there; it does not change anything in our web-search pipeline, so feel free to ignore it if you don’t need it.
5) We list crawl errors in Webmaster Tools by priority, which is based on several factors. If the first page of crawl errors is clearly irrelevant, you probably won’t find important crawl errors on further pages.
6) There’s no need to “fix” crawl errors on your website. Finding 404’s is normal and expected of a healthy, well-configured website. If you have an equivalent new URL, then redirecting to it is a good practice. Otherwise, you should not create fake content, you should not redirect to your homepage, you shouldn’t robots.txt disallow those URLs -- all of these things make it harder for us to recognize your site’s structure and process it properly. We call these “soft 404” errors.
7) Obviously - if these crawl errors are showing up for URLs that you care about, perhaps URLs in your Sitemap file, then that’s something you should take action on immediately. If Googlebot can’t crawl your important URLs, then they may get dropped from our search results, and users might not be able to access them either.
Browsing Netflix can be a pain. Use these hidden category codes to jump to the genres you are interested in. Action & Adventure Action Comedies Action Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Thrillers Adult Animation Adventures African Movies Alien Sci-Fi Animal Tales Anim...
I don't believe in setting new year's resolutions that you don't want to do. Why make life a struggle? On Christmas Day I watched the first episode of Grayson Perry: Who Are You? at bedtime. It set my brain on fire. In my insomnia, I jotted down the followi...
I've been doing this exercise in personal reflection every September since 2010 (see also my 2011 , 2012 and 2013 answers ). I was starting to sound like a broken record, complaining about the same problems year after year, but over the past 12 months I...
This post will explain how I managed to install my 13-year-old HP LasterJet 1000 series printer on my MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2. I feel like I'm on familiar territory here with HP's lack of legacy support for peripherals such as scan...
I kept a gratitude diary at throughout 2014. I wrote down three things for which I was grateful every night just before going to sleep. It had a positive impact on my mood. I went to sleep every night thinking about the good parts of my day. I'm going to ke...
- TorchboxSearch and Analytics Consultant, 2010 - present
- Hertford College, OxfordPalimpsesting in James Joyce, 2006 - 2010
- Hertford College, OxfordEnglish: 1900-Present Day (MSt), 2005 - 2006
- Hertford College, OxfordEnglish Language and Literature (BA), 2001 - 2004
- Merchiston Castle School, Edinburgh1999 - 2001
- Belmont Academy, Ayr1995 - 1999
- Ayr Grammar Primary School1991 - 1995
- Eggenthal1989 - 1991
How to change the default application for a file type
All your PDF files open in Adobe Reader, but you want them to open in Preview. All your JPEG files open in Preview when you’d rather they op
The Top 3 Google Analytics Configuration Issues Impacting your Data (and...
Good data is important. How important? Studies show that inaccurate data has a direct impact on the bottom line of 88% of companies. In fact
How attribution modeling increases profit for Baby Supermall - Analytics...
Advanced Topics (77); AdWords (17); Analytics API (64); Announcements (155); Beginner Topics (51); Business Insights (60); Case Study (26);
Full Credit Measurement: Attribution with Google Analytics - Analytics Blog
As we've discussed in many previous posts, the customer journey is evolving — most consumers will interact with many different marketing cha
No Code Required: Auto-Event Tracking with Google Tag Manager - Analytic...
As sites become more dynamic and want to understand users' site experiences in more detail, business owners need to know more: how long are
Manage upgraded sitelinks in the new version of AdWords Editor - Google ...
Manage upgraded sitelinks in the new version of AdWords Editor, AdWords Editor Advisor, 8/13/13 9:52 AM, Starting today, you can download th
An offbeat business plan: Torchbox's approach pays off - Telegraph
Aiming to identify the most innovative businesses in Britain, Abigail Townsend meets the owners of digital media agency Torchbox.
Give your sitelinks additional detail in enhanced campaigns - Inside AdW...
Google's official blog for news, information, and tips on AdWords
Tim Tebow, Bill Belichick and why it works for the Pats
Think there can't be any good reason for the New England Patriots to sign Tim Tebow to a contract? Think again. Around the League weighs in